Official Review: Carlotti by David Dalrymple

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zee_Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zee-zee.html
Latest Review: Carlotti by David Dalrymple

Official Review: Carlotti by David Dalrymple

Post by Zee_Zee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Carlotti" by David Dalrymple.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In this mystery-filled, action-packed crime thriller, a name could be a curse and a blessing. In many societies, family names go a long way to influence the destinies of the bearers. This myth forms the foundation of the exciting story you will find in Carlotti by David Dalrymple.

Dr. Nick Carlotti, the youngest son of the most notorious Italian mob boss in Philadelphia, is nothing like his father. He is a successful plastic surgeon who wants nothing to do with his father's business. Unlike his elder brother, Eddie, he chooses to lead a life free of crime. When his mother, Liza Carlotti, dies in a car crash, having heard her last words, he believes her death wasn't a mere accident. This suspicion leads him on a search for his mother's killer.

A zealous Philadelphia Detective, Maurice Rawls, and his partner, Taylor, on a case of a dead prostitute, suddenly link the disappearance of a lounge singer, Anya, to Liza Carlotti's death. Nick partners with Detective Rawls to solve the case of his dead mother. His friend, Steve, and colleague, Danielle, were also involved in the investigation. Nick battles with the possibility of his father and Senator Lloyd Mays, a friend of his mother, being responsible for his mother's death. His quest attracts much more attention than he expects, and he soon realizes he is towing a dangerous path and might get himself killed.

In this first fictional work, David Dalrymple takes the reader on a journey into a world of crime and justice laced with mystery. In this book, the themes of love, betrayal, greed, perseverance, vengeance, and the Christian faith are emphasized. I loved the author's ability to keep the mystery going until the end. And despite the number of pages this book contained, I never felt the story was dragged. The seamless transition of events and little use of Italian phrases and sentences, which were translated, made this book a joy to read. More so, I loved Nick and Danielle's relationship.

The only thing I didn't find praiseworthy was the excessive use of profane words. Nonetheless, the nature of the story contributed to the use of these words.

This book contained many profane words and minor instances of gory scenes, and I could barely spot typographical and grammatical errors. It also lacked erotic scenes. I'd rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it appears to be professionally edited. For its excessive use of profanity, I wouldn't recommend this book to young readers. Mature readers who enjoy mystery-filled crime thrillers would have a swell time reading this book.

Carlotti
View: on Bookshelves

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: The Miracle by James M. LeBlanc

Post by Elvis Best »

The plot of this crime thrillers sounds very exciting. Thanks for the insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Chiawa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiawa.html
Latest Review: Don't Quit by Kyle S. Reynolds

Post by Chiawa »

I love crime thriller. It's simply fascinating. Interesting review!

Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pluma »

This sounds like a very exciting book filled with interesting characters and an intriguing plot. The mystery sounds gripping, and it’s nice that the author kept it going through the whole book. Thanks for the great review!

Doziesixtus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doziesixtus.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Doziesixtus »

Crime thriller comes with some special drama that I like. I'd read this.

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Transcendental
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Thuroks by E. B. Eskca

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems a strong crime thriller that keeps the readers engaged with plot developments that can't be easily predicted. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Latest Review: Thuroks by E. B. Eskca

Charity Damaris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Charity Damaris »

This crime thriller book seems interesting.I definitely will look for the books to enjoy more.Yhis is a great review.

Kola+wole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kola-wole.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Kola+wole »

A Surgeon playing detective... I'm sure I'd be thrilled by the book. Great review.

Zwelihle24
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Zwelihle24 »

Indeed this book seems interesting, the introduction caught my attention and had me seeking for more.

Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: Inheritance
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Valkyrie9 »

This books sounds like a very exciting read! It is impressive for an author to keep the mystery going all the way to the end, especially when the book is so long. Thanks for the through review.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:

Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Pearl Akpan »

I’m a big fan of crime thrillers so thanks for a well written review.

TCG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcg.html
Latest Review: Liberty Bound by Nathaniel M Wrey

Post by TCG »

Dr. Nick did a noble act of taking a different path from his father. Each individual reserves the right to choose which path he would take.

Nonny2208
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nonny2208 »

Wow. I've always enjoyed movies or novels relating to mobs. Thanks for the review.

honesty_pays
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honesty-pays.html
Latest Review: The ultimate love by Sherine Anniruth

Post by honesty_pays »

Already melting in excitement with the way your review started. A very captivating action thriller book. I would love to find out how instrumental Dr nick was in the story. Nice review

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”