Official Review: Bad Karma by Debi Chestnut

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipochashe.html
Latest Review: Body in the Woods by Behcet Kaya

Official Review: Bad Karma by Debi Chestnut

Post by Chipochashe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bad Karma" by Debi Chestnut.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Zoey Callaway’s uncle dies unexpectedly under suspicious circumstances, Zoey’s inner detective instincts kick in. The police are treating his death as an accident, but Zoey is not convinced. Her uncle liked to work on cold cases. Zoey suspects that he may have been close to cracking a case that he was working on and that he was killed as a result. She feels that she owes it to her uncle to find out the truth and will use her skills as an Information Professional to piece together what happened.

Zoey inherits her uncle’s house and as she looks around the house she starts finding clues concerning her uncle’s last case. Can Zoey prove that her uncle’s death was in fact murder and find the person who did it before she gets killed? This is the story of Bad Karma as written by Debi Chestnut.

The book is written in simple English in the first person from Zoey’s perspective. The first person narrative allows the reader to be privy to Zoey’s thoughts and feelings. There are 24 short chapters and an epilogue.

I enjoyed reading this book. There was never a moment of boredom. The pace was steady throughout. The story was skillfully delivered and not made unnecessarily long. I liked that Zoey was strong and courageous, although sometimes she appeared to make reckless decisions. It was understandable though, that being a single person and under threat from an unknown person meant that she could not trust anyone other than herself. Although strong, she was also vulnerable. I also liked that the language was clean and there were no erotic scenes. The descriptions of murder were not graphic. As can be expected with any crime thriller, there’s a degree of violence.

I mostly enjoyed this book. I was disappointed only by the number of errors. There was a portion where the day started as a Saturday and then became a Sunday and judging from the progression, the day had been supposed to be a Sunday from the start. There was also inconsistency in spelling a character’s name; Lacey also spelt Lacy at times. Most of the errors were missing quotation marks. These did not detract my reading, but they exceeded 10.

That said, I enjoyed reading Bad Karma by Debi Chestnut. I will gladly pick another book by this author. I encourage her to get this book professionally proofread. I would have loved to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, but I now rate it 3 out of 4 stars because of the number of errors. Anyone who enjoys reading crime thrillers will enjoy this book.

Bad Karma
View: on Bookshelves
:D Only God gives the strength to smile in the face of death.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems an engaging crime thriller with an interesting protagonist. With another round of proofreading it could be excellent. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Jyothi prakash
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jyothi prakash »

I like crime cases or crime story. They have a lot suspicious thing in a story which we may not think. Any crime story can be interesting and fun.

Thanks to have my review
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I do enjoy reading crime thrillers. Thanks for this insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

This sounds like a book I would enjoy; I always like a good fast-paced mystery, and this one seems like it’s very nicely done. It’s a pity about the errors, though. Thanks for the great review!
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

This sounds like a gripping and entertaining read, with a well developed story and characters! A pity about the poor proofreading though - with another round of editing this book will be excellent. Thanks for the review.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
LiLj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilj.html
Latest Review: The Two Worlds in Which we Live Physical and Spiritual by Evelyn Rozier

Post by LiLj »

That’s too bad, this book sounds like a really engaging mystery novel, but the number of errors is a downer. Thank you for the great review.
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

Zoey must be horrified since she doesn't know who is responsible for her uncle's death and therefore the only person she trusts is herself.
LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by LuciusM »

Your review is detailed. Keep up.
"To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from all the miseries of life"
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

I’m a big fan of crime thrillers so thanks for a well written review.
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

The book's cover is so captivating. After reading your review, I'm more compelled to read the book. Though I think the author should do another round of editing.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: A Date with Justice
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

This seems like a really well paced book with a lot of twists and turns, it seems like a great read!!!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorraine-de-vos.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Lorraine De Vos »

Thank you for sharing your review with us. The plot sounds interesting. It’s a pity that there are so many errors. I will still be adding this book to my reading list, as it seems like you did enjoy it regardless.
Fasmin
Favorite Book: We are voulhire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fasmin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fasmin »

I love this story. I hope the author gets this proofread though.
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
– John Green
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

Good review! I love reading mystery novels like this one. The book sounds interesting.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”