Review by bjoly2 -- East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bjoly2
Currently Reading: Never Eat Alone
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bjoly2.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Review by bjoly2 -- East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by bjoly2 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "East Wind, 2nd edition" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

East Wind by Jack Winnick is the first in a series of adventure novels that follow a team of two agents responsible for foiling terrorist attacks planned on American soil. The book does an excellent job of introducing the key players and setting up the storyline for continuation in future books. I read the series out of order, jumping around and landing on book one last instead of first. That being said, I still found surprises in book one and found it to be an engaging tale even though I had an inkling of what was around the bend.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. Winnick has an engaging writing style, and I enjoy the way the story crosses between the viewpoints of our protagonists and the team of terrorists engaged in the plot.

Winnick has an in-depth knowledge of the political history of both the US and countries in the Middle East. A lot of the historical details shared in the story are factual. For this reason, the book hits a little closer to home as you realize the events that led us to where we are could be the basis for a present-day attack. The author also introduced an intriguing method of communication for the terrorist cell that involved simple codes on public web pages, which could truly happen without our knowledge.

Since the book is relatively short, I was left hoping for more character development, specifically around the relationship between the two protagonists. As with any new relationship, the early days are the most exciting, and I found myself wanting to know more about Lara and Uri’s thoughts towards each other as their relationship blossomed. It seemed much of their dialogue was used to set up the storyline and get the reader up to speed on history. It would have been nice to hear more raw conversations from Lara and Uri to reveal the depth of their individuality too.

As with other stories by Jack Winnick, the adventure tales can appeal to a broad audience but should be considered heavily by those who are sensitive to anti-American sentiments. At the core, the book is a story of good vs. evil, where the wrongdoers are very explicit with their feelings towards the “infidels.” Anyone who would not appreciate negative sentiments towards Americans and Jews would be best to leave this book unread.

East Wind, 2nd edition
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”