Review by prowlingivy -- The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
prowlingivy
Favorite Book: The Spirit of Want
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prowlingivy.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Review by prowlingivy -- The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

Post by prowlingivy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Juicy Fruit Man" by LaMar Going.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Declan Noakes is an ex vet. He joins the army after graduating high school in 1969. He serves in the Vietnam War for four years before returning to Chicago. Despite the normalcy provided by Cousin Rachael’s farm life, he is far from being normal. He faces a never-ending war inside his head. Declan craves nothing more than freedom but he knows he can never be free until he slays his demons. He chooses to live a commitment-free life on the road escaping from what he considers modern sources of bondage. He has no permanent address, no fixed occupation except his marijuana smuggling business, and no dating life.

The American street jargon for the potent Thai marijuana juicy fruit, the main product in Declan’s business. The Juicy Fruit Man revolves around Declan’s illegal enterprise. Declan uses marijuana to pacify his war demons. LaMar Going explores the theme of post-traumatic stress disorders in exemplary detail. He also informs us of the inner workings of the drug business most especially the betrayal there. Declan wants nothing on the streets but peace but life has an ugly surprise in store for him. His longtime colleague, Ben Fisher betrays him and tries to steal his cache of drugs. Although Declan prevails, he is stuck with graver consequences, he watches his cousin kill to save them both thus ending up back in the very woes he so desperately tries to escape.

I loved the author’s narrative tale. I enjoyed the way he crafted his characters. The characters are not only lovable but also relatable. LaMar focuses on the consequences of personal consequences on both the person and his environment. He goes on to show how our poor choices can put our loved ones in a rut without us intending it. He put forth a very realistic tale of love and loss as well as the effects of war on the person. It is a very informative book and gives worthy entertainment. There was nothing to dislike the book and it keeps you glued to the plot throughout.

I would recommend it to lovers of thrillers as well as the lovers of drama. It is however unsuitable for a younger audience as I consider drugs a rather sensitive topic for them. Nevertheless, it is a great read and worthy of your time and attention.it is both compelling and engaging. It is a delight to read for both men and women boasting of massive takeaways for both groups. The author has used a very respectful tone throughout the story. Therefore, it is a comfortable read for reserved readers.

I give it a 4 out of 4 stars. This is because I found it to be well-edited and written. It depicts the author’s fifty years of writing experience. My rating is also due to the witty delivery of the plot. The whole experience was something to die for. It is a book I would recommend to my friends and family.

The Juicy Fruit Man
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”