Mystery Recommendations, Please!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
booklvr62
Favorite Author: Richard Preston many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Dandelion Wine</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Mystery Recommendations, Please!

Post by booklvr62 »

Wow Jenn, retiring from the military,that's great! Found another free cozy mystery for your Kindle,and BTW that was really interesting to hear what a benefit your Kindle was in Germany. The Death of Amelia Marsh (Sally Nimitz Mysteries)265 pgs[mystery/thriller/suspense/cozy mystery]by MaryJo Dawson
Sally Nimitz is a widow living in a small mid-western town with a satisfying ordinary life. She is invited to visit her neighbor one afternoon, an elderly lady with a charming English accent. When she arrives for the appointment, the lady is lying on her kitchen floor, dead from a blow to the head. Sally finds herself drawn into the puzzling crime; why would anyone want to kill Mrs. Marsh? As she looks for answers, Sally discovers a talent dormant within herself for solving such a puzzle. With the aid of two friends this budding female sleuth learns Amelia Marsh's life was a mystery in itself, and there are secrets hidden in her past.
Lisanne624
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lisanne624 »

Have you read any John Sandford? His Lucas Davenport and Virgil Flowers series are great! They can be a bit gory/violent (especially the latter ones), but they keep you on the edge of your seat. Also anything by Karin Slaughter (again, a bit gory, but real page-turners!) is good. For lighter/cosy mysteries, you can't go wrong with M.C. Beaton. She has two great characters, Agatha Raisin and Hamish McBeth. Both of those series are funny and fast reads. I also love anything by Ruth Rendell and Margaret Yorke (not sure if she has published anything lately). Also, Kate Atkinson's "Jackson Brody" series is great, too!
booklvr62
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Dandelion Wine</a>

Post by booklvr62 »

Oh yes I defintely plan to check out the M. C. Beaton-Agatha Raisin series and also The Meg Langslow series by Donna Andrews .
RezTanya
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reztanya.html

Post by RezTanya »

It isn't exactly what you're looking for, but have you ever read Maurice LeBlac's Arsene Lupin series? Lupin is a 'gentleman thief' and why I'm recommending it is some of the stories feature Holmlock Shears XD. It's one of the first Holmes parodies.

Matthew Pearl's Dante Club is on my tbr list:

The Dante Club is a mystery novel by Matthew Pearl and his debut work. Set amidst a series of murders in the American Civil War era, it also concerns a club of poets, including such historical figures as Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr., and James Russell Lowell, who are translating Dante's The Divine Comedy from Italian into English.
Geneen Karstens

Post by Geneen Karstens »

I second the motion for Louise Penny. Also Ian Rankin's Inpector Rebus' books are good also. Harlan Coben, David Baldacci, Vince Flynn, Brad Thor.
prisailurophile
Favorite Author: Ian McEwan
Favorite Book: Matilda by Roald Dahl
Currently Reading: Underground by Murakami
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisailurophile.html
fav_author_id: 2508

Post by prisailurophile »

Mary Higgins Clark is a good choice. Her daughter, Carol Higgins Clark and former daughter-in-law, Mary Jane Clark are fabulous, too.
annie

Post by annie »

Read the series by Louise Penney, set in Three Pines, in Canada. I recommend reading the books in order. Excellent series!
Sheknew11

Post by Sheknew11 »

I also don't like blood and gore. One great author who I've read every book she wrote is Melissa F Miller. I got Irreparable Harm when it was free and couldn't put it down. If you go to Amazon and look at reviews written by Anna M. Clark (I wrote one for Irreparable Harm and if you click on my name on the review, you can choose to see all my reviews), you will see that I read a LOT of mysteries and also that I don't like "slice and dice blood and gore" as I call it. I read many mysteries this summer that I couldn't put down. You'll know them by the five stars.
booklvr62

Post by booklvr62 »

Irreparable Harm , for the Kindle is free again today,I just got it.

-- 05 Nov 2013, 15:11 --
prisailurophile wrote:Mary Higgins Clark is a good choice. Her daughter, Carol Higgins Clark and former daughter-in-law, Mary Jane Clark are fabulous, too.
Are the books by Carol Higgins Clark also "clean"?
Sheknew11

Post by Sheknew11 »

Gingerbread Man by Maggie Shayne is another good one. And any of the Joe Dillard series by Scott Pratt. Both have suspense and kept me up at night. Gingerbread Man has a really good twist at the end. Although, I was clicking on my name on Amazon to try to remember other books I read this summer and the "See all reviews by this reviewer" wasn't showing up. If you come across other good ones, please let me know! Oh - and I haven't read anything by either Clark (oddly enough since Clark is my real last name, you'd think it would have piqued my interest at some point in time. Common name. Ce la vie).
lynne_d1

Post by lynne_d1 »

I'd go for Elizabeth Kostova's "The Historian" - less gory than your average detective novel and a tour de force of writing. Wonderful characters - a total page-turner!
Tinamgolla
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tinamgolla.html

Post by Tinamgolla »

I used to read Mary Higgins Clark will have to try carol Higgins Clark. Thanks always willing to try new authors
coachsully

Post by coachsully »

Spellman Series by Lisa Lutz
This is one of the more humorous mystery series that I have enjoyed. It is about a dysfunctional family of detectives that have some interesting habits, starting with the protagonist, Izzy Spellman, who started working for the family detective business when she was 12, trying lose her mom and dad in a car chase. They have been following her for practice. The series starts with The Spellman Files and is followed by The Curse of the Spellmans.
Sheknew11

Post by Sheknew11 »

Thanks for that heads-up! There is an e-sampler called "Lisa Lutz Spellman Series e- Sampler" free in the Kindle Store. It is described: "This e-sampler includes book excerpts, reading group guides, and other classified materials from the hilarious Spellman Files series." and it's says it's 144 pages long so I figure that will give me insight as to whether I want to purchase the series.
Geneen Karstens

Post by Geneen Karstens »

Just picked up a book by Charles Todd at the library. Find it's the next book in a series featuring Inspector Ian Rutledge of Scotland Yard. Seems really good so far. Think I'll go back to he beginning to read more of his books.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”