Mystery Recommendations, Please!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kiubec
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Mystery Recommendations, Please!

Post by Kiubec »

My personal favorite book of this type is, stereotypically, "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes", by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. It's a classic and there are probably better mystery stories out there, but so far, this is my favorite.
Jennifer32280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer32280.html

Post by Jennifer32280 »

I love the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich and the Nikki Heat series by Richard Castle.
LizzyFaye
Favorite Book: Beautiful Disaster
Currently Reading: Marked Men series
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzyfaye.html

Post by LizzyFaye »

I highly recommend the Lizzy Gardner Series by T.R. Ragan. I don't really read too many mystery books but that series is such a page turner!!
kiwes
Favorite Author: Daniel Black
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading: Who Do I Run To
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiwes.html

Post by kiwes »

I was wondering if you could possibly recommend any great legal thrillers? I love law, and I read a great deal about law, so I'm always interested in finding a good legal thriller. If anyone can recommend an author or a series, that would really be awesome. Thanks.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

kiwes wrote:I was wondering if you could possibly recommend any great legal thrillers? I love law, and I read a great deal about law, so I'm always interested in finding a good legal thriller. If anyone can recommend an author or a series, that would really be awesome. Thanks.
I quite enjoyed The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly ... movie wasn't bad either.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
angelananya20

Post by angelananya20 »

Try books by Dan Brown and Sydney Sheldon..
shinjiblue
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shinjiblue.html
Latest Review: "The Stones of Judgment" by Deborah Wise

Post by shinjiblue »

Not sure if it's been mentioned already but The Alienist by Caleb Carr is an excellent mystery. Warning though: it does contain some violence and gory details so more like a crime/mystery. It takes place toward the end of the 1800s and combines fact with fiction.
Latest Review: "The Stones of Judgment" by Deborah Wise
Elizabeth Rogers 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-rogers-47.html

Post by Elizabeth Rogers 47 »

I am very fond of a mystery series by author Jo Dereske. It is referred to as library mysteries. The setting is Bellehaven, Washington, and the librarian who is the heroine of the series is named Helma Zukas, who is an old-fashioned, prim librarian. She has a close friend from her home town in Michigan who is her opposite in looks and personality. There is romance, a quirky friendship, an engrossing mystery in each of the books. They are well-written, and I recommend them highly.
sybil1reader
Favorite Author: All crime authors
Favorite Book: Too Many to name
Currently Reading: CJ Lyons
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sybil1reader.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by sybil1reader »

I am all in when it comes to mysteries, so I think I will try the books by Jo Dereske.
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
David Dawson
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-dawson.html
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman

Post by David Dawson »

kiwes wrote:I was wondering if you could possibly recommend any great legal thrillers? I love law, and I read a great deal about law, so I'm always interested in finding a good legal thriller. If anyone can recommend an author or a series, that would really be awesome. Thanks.
I suppose John Grisham's the most obvious answer, but I'm guessing you may well have read him?
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman
Blidstrom21

Post by Blidstrom21 »

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn is amazing!!!
celestialentent
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celestialentent.html

Post by celestialentent »

If you haven't, you should read Jude by Kate Morgenroth.
Timea
Favorite Author: Edgar A. Poe
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =1580">The Dimension Scales and Other Stories</a>
Currently Reading: Arhipelagul Gulag I
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timea.html
Latest Review: "Murder Inc." by Christian Cipollini

Post by Timea »

If you like Poe, you will probably like Ambrose Bierce too :) if you decide to read something by him, let me know if you liked it, I'm curious. He has great short stories and wrote a witty little book called The Devil's Dictionary.
Latest Review: "Murder Inc." by Christian Cipollini
mystery_lover

Post by mystery_lover »

I thoroughly love reading a good mystery novel and prefer that over any other type of genre. I have several favorite authors with whom I read every single one of their books and then I also have new authors that I have recently discovered while waiting for my favorite authors to release a new book.

My favorite authors are James Patterson and his Women's Murder Club series, Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series, Tess Gerritsen who writes Rizzoli and Isles, and Allison Brennan's series about Lucy Kincaid. They are all great! I continuously look forward to the next book to be written.

The new authors which I have recently discovered are CJ Lyons, Lisa Phillips, Lynette Eason and Kay Hooper. They are all very good writers and have women lead characters.

I hope this helps.
booklvr_14

Post by booklvr_14 »

M.C. Beaton is a good one. She writes the Hamish MacBeth and Agatha Raisin series, both very entertaining!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”