Mystery Recommendations, Please!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jamers025
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamers025.html

Re: Mystery Recommendations, Please!

Post by jamers025 »

Like a little comedy with your mystery? Then you have to try the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. Another great mystery series is the Womens Murder Club by James Patterson. These are two of my personal favorites.
Elizabeth Rogers 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-rogers-47.html

Post by Elizabeth Rogers 47 »

To Sybil1reader -- Hope you do enjoy the Jo Dereske series. Let me know. I am on a vacation without all my books and notes. But I'll have a few names for you when I get back. Have you tried Elizabeth Duncan? Nice series set in Wales. Also, on her website she posts photos of the setting of her novels. It's quite fun, and adds another dimension.
RianneLaCoe
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riannelacoe.html

Post by RianneLaCoe »

J.D. Robb is a great mystery writer!
salberson 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salberson-10.html

Post by salberson 10 »

you should read Christi Phillips - Devlin Diary and Rossetti Letter for sure!! - truly amazing at least give them a look up!
RooneysReviews
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rooneysreviews.html
Latest Review: "Magpie" by M.A. Reyes

Post by RooneysReviews »

A very little known author wrote some fantastic mystery books very similar to Janet Evanovich's style. Her name is Lori Avocato and the series is the Pauline Sokol Mystery series. These books are similar to Stephanie Plum/Ranger set up, but with more comedy and enough differences in style to make her writing truly unique.

She writes a few other books, such as romance, but I've found that this mystery series is by far her best work. Quite recommend.
Latest Review: "Magpie" by M.A. Reyes
cindypower
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by cindypower »

Hello,first post here! I enjoy all kinds of cozy mysteries,but prefer women sleuths and especially with animals. I have read all of Lillian Jackson brains The Cat Who....books,excellent.I am currently reading Convicted Witch,almost done.interesting characters. Expelled witch's live in a separate world with others of their kind. The witch,Trinket,has an owl for a familiar. The book caught and held me right away,which is what I look for,back since my first Stepen King book in 1975!

-- 01 Oct 2015, 12:57 --

That's my post above.where do I go on the site to Sig. Up to read,write an honest review and get paid?

-- 06 Oct 2015, 09:43 --

I recommend Leighann Dobbs,Dianne Hartmann and for "oldies but goodies" Sandra Brown and Lilian Jackson Braun.
Bigdaddy13

Post by Bigdaddy13 »

Hi Friends, I'm new to the site but I love to read mystery books. My favorites are court room drama and suspense. I started reading a few years ago when my kids gave me a Kindle PaperWhite ofr Christmas and now I can't put it down. I love to find new authors and new books. Some or my favorite authors include John Grisham, William Landay, Scott Pratt, Greg Iles, James Patterson, Val McDermidand and Alex Berenson to name a few. Anyway I hope to chat with others. Peace
Cowgirl888
Currently Reading: The 13th Demon
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cowgirl888.html

Post by Cowgirl888 »

Terry Blackstock is outstanding. She is a Christian mystery writer. I just finished Truth Stained Lies and Distortion of the Moonlighters series and they were outstanding.
Nmanchado2018
Favorite Author: Tami Hoag
Currently Reading: Secrets to the Grave
Bookshelf Size: 47
fav_author_id: 3744

Post by Nmanchado2018 »

I would recommend a few good Authors, Tami Hoag, Sandra Brow, Kathy Reiches, and Jennifer Hillier. If your into Cozy mysteries I would recommend Linda O Johnston.
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

I recently loved The Death of Mrs Westaway by Ruth Ware. Not really a detective story but a wonderfully descriptive murder mystery with good suspects and twists and a bit of tarot thrown in
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
PepperedPenelope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pepperedpenelope.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by PepperedPenelope »

I would check out Dorothy L. Sayers - the Lord Peter Wimsey series. They are definitely a fun read!
DaynamirenDigg
Favorite Author: Mary Higgins Clark
Currently Reading: The Wizard of OZ An Other Narcissists
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4614

Post by DaynamirenDigg »

Greetings,

I am a huge fan of mysteries, mystery thrillers, and psychological-based thrillers. I would like to recommend books by the author, Patricia D. Cornwell, while there might be talk about certain things such as, bones, or the mention of corpses, the books are not extremely gory. I think that you and others might be interested in giving the author’s books a try, one of my very first reads of this author was, Postmortem, the book is a thrilling and suspenseful read.

The author also has a series with a character named, Scarpetta that might be of interest to you. My favorite mystery thriller author is, Mary Higgins Clark. The first book that I read by, Mary is called, A Cry in the Night; this book is extraordinary, full of suspense and mystery that will leave any reader wanting more. By the way, Mary Higgins Clark has a previous daughter-in law, Mary Jane Clark, and she also writes mystery thrillers. I have yet to explore her work but maybe you would be interested in her work as well. Mary Higgins Clark also has a daughter, Carol Higgins Clark, the two of them co-authored Christmas novels.
Ben Madeley
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

If you're looking for legal thrillers, it has to be John Grisham, they're generally brilliant and some I've gone back and read more than once.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”