Official Review: Hide and Seek by P.S. Brown

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AnaF
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaf.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Official Review: Hide and Seek by P.S. Brown

Post by AnaF »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hide and Seek" by P.S. Brown.]
Book Cover for 9781481145510
Share This Review

Hide and Seek is a mystery novel written by P. S. Brown and it’s the author’s first published book.

The sudden death of a childhood friend brings back together the remaining elements of the Excellent Eight. It’s been 20 years since they last saw each other but this unexpected reunion seems to be going pretty well and the gang quickly goes back into what they used to be.

However, things take a turn for the worse when Peter wakes up the next morning in a mysterious cabin in the middle of the woods and finds his friends missing. He doesn’t know that he’s about to take park in a twisted version of hide and seek, following the clues given by a mad man called Celo in order to save his friends from horrible deaths.

One thing that I really liked about this book was its concept. It seemed quite intriguing and suspenseful and it promised a lot of action. It just seemed like one of those books that keep you glued to its pages and would make you fly through them.

However, it failed to meet my expectations and these are the reasons why.

First of all, I thought the novel was too descriptive and repetitive at times. Don’t get me wrong, in order to know more about the clues that were given and to know more about the characters there had to be some story telling about the past. However I felt that even when things were supposed to be a bit more action packed, the narrative dragged a little and lacked some excitement.

Even though I liked the way the clues were connected to the characters’ past and how the author chose those particular events and places, I thought the way the clues were being revealed was a bit repetitive. They were always given in the same way and some of the planned deaths seemed too similar. I understand that it’s important to establish a modus operandi but that doesn’t necessarily mean saying the same things over and over again and choosing the same way of killing the victims, especially when Celo seemed to be creative enough to be a bit more versatile in what he did.

Also, the characters weren’t relatable and it was hard to establish a connection with them. I didn’t really care for them because I knew so little about them – except for some particular events that took place when they were kids. I felt the same way about Peter, even though he was the main character. There was a lot more information about him but it still didn’t pick up my interest.

Overall I give this book 2 out of 4 stars. Like I’ve said before, I really liked its concept but the way the story progressed failed to meet my expectations. There was an interesting twist in the end but it wasn’t enough to change my opinion about this book.

I think that when I’m reading a book like this, with this kind of concept, that it should really grab my attention and make me just want to read it and nothing else. It has to have a certain edge and make my heart race when something is about to happen and that wasn’t the case with this book. However, I believe that even though I wasn’t a particular fan of this novel, that doesn’t mean others won’t like it and enjoy its reading. For fans of the mystery genre, this book would be an interesting choice.

Buy "Hide and Seek" on Amazon
Buy "Hide and Seek" on Barnes and Noble
kat6496
Favorite Author: Liza Palmer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =1314">The Disappearing Girl</a>
Currently Reading: Electric Barracuda - Tim Dorsey
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat6496.html
Latest Review: "Alias Corey Sutton" by Rusty Savage
fav_author_id: 6497

Post by kat6496 »

I always enjoy reading your reviews AnaF. I think that we probably enjoy many of the same reads. :)
Latest Review: "Alias Corey Sutton" by Rusty Savage
AnaF

Post by AnaF »

Thanks, that's great compliment that you're giving me :)
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Great Review. While I love mystery's, they have to capture my attention and really get me excited and not want to put the book down sounds like something worth reading though.
Freespirit
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freespirit.html

Post by Freespirit »

Great review AnaF. I cannot say I'm a die-hard fan of mystery novels, but the concept of the book sounds quite interesting.
KatieReads
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiereads.html

Post by KatieReads »

Nice review! Sounds like an interesting book! I might have to add this to my reading list :)
leraht

Post by leraht »

Thanks AnaF,this Mystery Novel sounds interesting and i know i will love it,im interested to hear what happend and the end.
AnaF

Post by AnaF »

Thanks you for all your kind comments. I hope that those of you that decide to read this book enjoy it

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”