Review by Seroney_ -- Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 518
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: Supercharge Your Production with 5 Time Management Hacks by Lucy Ledet

Review by Seroney_ -- Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Mutai Marshal »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Well, I cannot find the right way to classify this classical-book; crime thriller or drama or romance? I can only conclude that the protagonist is a fugitive on the run. He’s on the move for a crime he never committed.

Danny is a lad from South Dakota. He earns a living as a jockey (which he brags that his father’s annual income would not match his weekly salary, leave alone a month). In no time, Danny (Tito) sells white crosses (ephedrine), students being the chief market. The business flourishes, and he procures choppers to supply his extensive market. Tito also does pot, which lands him behind bars.

As fate would have it, he breaks up with his wife, who was determined to plunder his wealth. The state freezes all his assets. Upon release from prison, he solemnly swears never to do hard drugs. Tito then starts from scratch. His new business is booming when Marvin Schumacher sets him up. The cops are on his neck. He has to be on the move, with the law in hot pursuit. But where is he destined? For how long will he evade the radar of the FBI, Interpol, and a bevy of other law-enforcement agencies? Will the law finally catch up with him? There’s only one way to find out, and we both know how to do it.

Honestly, I’ve never laughed so hard reading a book. It is the most comical book that left my ribs aching. There’s a mess of humor scattered all over this book. In particular, the experience by Tito on his way to Guatemala takes the day. Fancied a woman delivering in a bus, on a bumpy road? (Not a single child though) How about a woman gagging a piglet, covering it with a shoal, and then babysitting it? All in the name of evading the consignment fee since children are not subject to bus-fare. I can only imagine his facial expression when the piglet peed on him. Danny would call himself “Gringo Stupido” every time he did anything stupid, making it hilarious. Well, the humor is what I loved most about the book.

I appreciated the author’s ability to craft such a fast-paced novel. However, he slowed down the flow when he opted to give too much information on his stay at Campo Valdez. It is the only thing that I did not like about this book. A myriad of landmarks incorporated in this exhilarating book was mesmerizing. Colombia, Margarita, Merida, El Yague, and Germany (to state a few) are the places he traversed over three lustrums. I learned plenty of Spanish terms, dishes, and cultures. Consequently, it invigorated my desire to learn the language.

I went along with the author on the roller-coaster ride. I developed cold feet whenever he was being questioned by the Customs and Immigration department. I sympathized with the protagonist when he lost both wives while Mary Luz cheated on him with a Belgian guy. In short, Dan “Tito” Davis has a way of evoking a barrage of emotions. He also deploys suspense and irony, which add glamour to Gringo: My Life On The Edge As An International Fugitive. I wholeheartedly rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Honestly, I cannot substantiate any reason to deny it a perfect rating.

Children should be discouraged from reading this book due to its profanity. Sexual scenes are displayed. As for its audience, I gladly recommend it to lovers of crime-thrillers, romance, and drama. Enthusiasts of adventure will also find it engaging. The book was professionally-edited since I noted a few grammatical errors. In conclusion, I conjure with Peter Conti’s reckoning that no one has lived a fascinating life than Dan “Tito” Davis.

Gringo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

It seems you enjoyed this book very much. I love books with humor too and I'm def gonna add this to my shelf. Thanks for the insightful review.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I love books that make me laugh, and everyone can use a good laugh these days. I think I would enjoy this book. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

This book was already on my shelves, and after reading your review I am even more eager to start reading it.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

A comedic crime thriller is something I never read, so this one intrigues me, also thinking about its other elements. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Thanks for you great review! I’ll sure give this book a shot.
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

I didn't know this book was so humorous too. I was already willing to read it because of the genres of crime and suspense. But now I want to read it even more. Thanks for the great review!
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

Oooh, this one is already on my shelf and your review just confirmed that I have made a good choice :D Thank you for such a thorough and beautifully-written review! :D
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

A fast paced novel with a touch of humor and romantic line in it? I take it :) Thanks for a great review!
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

The protagonist Danny is on run for the crime he has never created makes the story quite intriguing. I am thinking of picking up this book someday. Thanks for your insightful review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
MeganDJ
Currently Reading: Mirrored Worlds
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megandj.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MeganDJ »

Wow, I can not believe that this all actually happened! His life definitely sounds like it should be adapted into a movie. Thank you so much for the well-written review! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by jennydelacruz »

The element of humor is inviting me to grab this book! Thank you for your review, I will check this book out and hope to enjoy it as much as you did!
Marvin85
Favorite Book: The Biblical Clock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marvin85.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Marvin85 »

A lot of humor is displayed indeed, I love taking humorous books. This one reminds me of the humour in Government Inspector by Gogol. However, due to sexually explicit scenes I will not take this one. Wonderful review though, thanks
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

"Gringo Stupido" got me reeling with laughter. This plot reminds me of El Chapo, except that Gringo gets a second chance. Beautiful review.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

This true story is definitely movie material. I hope the gringo has found peace and has stopped running.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”