Review by Camarathy21 -- Make Me Tick by Nick Carr

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Camarathy21
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camarathy21.html
Latest Review: Make Me Tick by Nick Carr

Review by Camarathy21 -- Make Me Tick by Nick Carr

Post by Camarathy21 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Make Me Tick" by Nick Carr.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Make Me Tick by Nick Carr is the first book in the Jim Kirby thriller series. The short story is a page-turner blended with suspense, actions and romance. The story revolves around the protagonist Jim Kirby, who is tagged Jo's super hero because he rescued her from the fire outbreak in her apartment. As the story unfolds, an investigation was instigated by Inspector Danforth over the fire outbreak as he considers it non-accidental. While the investigation went on, Jim took it upon himself to act as Jo's guardian but the truth is that he is clearly awestruck by Jo's beauty and often finds himself fighting his emotions.

Reading through the story, you'll be introduced to another character named Sergeant Miller, whom I consider the antagonist of this story. You'll be eager to find the answers to some suspenseful questions like; who is Sergeant Miller? How is he linked to the fire outbreak at Jo's apartment? Why is Jo a victim of an arson attack?

Make Me Tick is really an interesting, short and engaging read. Well, the author did a great job in the character development of the major characters like Jim, Jo and Sergeant Miller. What I liked most about this thriller is the presence of suspense and the blending of romance and comic relief which made it appear more entertaining. For avid readers like myself, I completed reading this book in less than 48 hours. Your guess is right. The author knows how to keep his readers engaged and in suspense so, one would always be eager to know the turn out of events. Furthermore, the book seems to be professionally edited as I found no errors throughout the book. Carr also employed the use of simple English in writing this thriller so, understanding the book will not be a problem for any average reader.

The story was entertaining all through but there was a diversion towards the end of the story. I dislike the way the author dispatched everyone after the mystery has been uncovered. It was as if they exhausted much energy discovering something which did not worth the energy in consumption. Apart from this shortcoming, I enjoyed everything about this read.

On the whole, Make Me Tick deserves four out of four stars. I loved everything about the book, even the above shortcomings did not affect my enjoyment of the book. As stated earlier, there's no doubt the book was professionally edited. This book will appeal more to readers with high taste of a good thriller especially ones blended with romance and comic relief. There were obscene scenes involving nudity which would make this book limited to only adults and so not proper for kids below 18 years of age.

Make Me Tick
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Johnnytech
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Johnnytech »

Some dope writing and clarity, thanks for this.
Camarathy21
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camarathy21.html
Latest Review: Make Me Tick by Nick Carr

Post by Camarathy21 »

Johnnytech wrote: 03 Jul 2020, 03:02 Some dope writing and clarity, thanks for this.
thanks for reading
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

It's always great when authors can blend together different types of writing like humor and suspense. It's a shame the end didn't have as much energy though!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Moray_001
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

Your review makes me want to read this book. It sounds like something quite interesting.
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

Good review! I read this book and I totally agree with you when you state that this book is interesting.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

This review is so thorough and enticing that I definitely want to check this book out. Great work.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”