Official Review: Pearl River Mansion by Richard Schwartz [2020 Book of the Year, based on your votes!]

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Official Review: Pearl River Mansion by Richard Schwartz [2020 Book of the Year, based on your votes!]

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pearl River Mansion" by Richard Schwartz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Family secrets and nefarious plans are bound to be uncovered in this chilling family drama. After the passing of Tyler Chandler's wife, Sarah, Tyler wonders how he will care for his twins. Cody is the apple of his eye, and Rachael, well, he's never really paid her much attention. When his wealthy mother, Joan, is adamant about adopting Rachael, he acquiesces, believing in his heart, that she will provide Rachael with a better life. But his late wife's family has their sights set on raising Rachael as one of their own. Joan Chandler will do whatever it takes to secure her role as the young girl's guardian—even if that means eliminating those that get in her way.

When Rachael is reported missing, detectives Jack and Stacy find themselves perplexed over potential leads that seem to get them nowhere. The information doesn't add up. Someone is lying about Rachael's whereabouts, but who?

Pearl River Mansion by Richard Schwartz combines family drama and chilling twists and turns into a highly immersive read. The book is quite lengthy, at well over 500 pages, and is written from the third-person perspective following a handful of characters. Upon my first impression of the book, I was perplexed as to why it was so long, but it made sense the further I got into reading. The first part of the book focuses on the rift between Tyler Chandler and his mother. Then the author shifts gears and introduces readers to the detectives that are working on cracking the case of the missing girl, Rachael Chandler.

The thing that I enjoyed most about the book was the author's ability to intermingle secondary characters into the storyline without taking away from the central premise. While some of their roles were of lesser importance, all of the characters were an essential piece of the puzzle. By creating multidimensional characters, the author did an excellent job of enabling readers to become fully invested in the story's inner workings.

Additionally, I was pleasantly surprised by my laser-focus in regards to finishing the book. As I mentioned earlier, it was much longer than expected, but because of the author's ability to leave little breadcrumbs of information here and there, my interest never waned. This was accomplished by getting me invested in the Chandler family's lives, followed by intense foreshadowing and then introducing new characters.

Pearl River Mansion had a particularly memorable cast of characters, and I found myself thinking of them long after I had finished the book. Tyler Chandler was a tortured soul, who I believe wanted to do right by his family, but could not move past his childhood demons. Jack Kendall was the relentless detective that was driven by his strong moral compass. He wanted justice for Rachael Chandler and would do whatever it took. My perception of Joan Chandler continuously changed throughout the book. At her core, I believe she wanted what was best for Rachael, but her self-serving qualities overshadowed the nurturing ones.

The writing in Pearl River Mansion was coherent and easy to read. There were no exhaustive spelling errors or issues with grammar, and the story flowed at a consistent pace. I have chosen to give the book a rating of four out of four stars.

Pearl River Mansion is not intended for younger readers as it deals with weighty topics such as child abuse and suicide. Some particularly violent death scenes made my stomach churn, so I recommend tackling this book with caution. On the contrary, I would highly recommend this book for mature readers who like an all-encompassing mystery. The story boasts a well-developed cast of characters, some surprising twists, and it takes place in a mansion full of secrets. What more could you want?

Pearl River Mansion
View: on Bookshelves
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

Wow, this book sounds thrilling! I'm pretty interested in books with some crime and mysterious plot like that one. I should give it a try. Thanks for the great review!
Nelson Reviews
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-reviews.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Reviews »

The Love of a pure Guardian is Vast, So Vast; that nobody gets in thier way to deliver the need. This review is quiet a wrap up of this family drama masterpiece. Thank you for the Review.
Adrianna Melillo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Revolutionary Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrianna-melillo.html
Latest Review: Spring Fed by Bill Plyler

Post by Adrianna Melillo »

This one sounds like it will suck you in! It’s good to know that the 500-page commitment is well worth it. In a society where we’re constantly getting information faster and faster, and summaries are getting shorter and shorter, I think it speaks very highly of a writer when they can captivate a reader’s attention for so many pages. Great review!
_Lindsey_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey.html
Latest Review: The Curl by Raymond George Ward

Post by _Lindsey_ »

What an exciting crime thriller premise! What happens to Rachel sounds like a sinister and scary scenario that is perfect for anyone who enjoys thriller novels. Joan also sounds like a great antagonistic character. Thanks for the review.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: The Ripsons
Bookshelf Size: 416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by NetMassimo »

I like thrillers with secrets unveiled in various twists, so this one seems intriguing even if some parts are really brutal. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Rubbi
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rubbi.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by Rubbi »

Sounds like an interesting book.
Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Usma Khann »

An unconventional read with a strong lead father character in the frontline. The themes of survival and camaraderie are inherent in the storyline. Appreciate the review.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:
Olgamiell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olgamiell.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Olgamiell »

It sounds like a thriller I would like to read! Seems very interesting, with captivating plot and strong characters. Thank you for your great review!
funmilayo_h
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funmilayo-h.html
Latest Review: Battlemind by Michael Waddington

Post by funmilayo_h »

I believe if I had seen it was a 500 paged book, I wouldn't have bothered but you already convinced me in this review that its worth reading...added to book shelf!
Stephanie Elizabeth

gabrielletiemi wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 07:00 Wow, this book sounds thrilling! I'm pretty interested in books with some crime and mysterious plot like that one. I should give it a try. Thanks for the great review!
Thanks for reading and commenting :)
Stephanie Elizabeth

Nelson Reviews wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 07:19 The Love of a pure Guardian is Vast, So Vast; that nobody gets in thier way to deliver the need. This review is quiet a wrap up of this family drama masterpiece. Thank you for the Review.
Thank you!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Adrianna Melillo wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 07:21 This one sounds like it will suck you in! It’s good to know that the 500-page commitment is well worth it. In a society where we’re constantly getting information faster and faster, and summaries are getting shorter and shorter, I think it speaks very highly of a writer when they can captivate a reader’s attention for so many pages. Great review!
I wholeheartedly agree--thanks!
Stephanie Elizabeth

_Lindsey_ wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 07:50 What an exciting crime thriller premise! What happens to Rachel sounds like a sinister and scary scenario that is perfect for anyone who enjoys thriller novels. Joan also sounds like a great antagonistic character. Thanks for the review.
The author did an excellent job of developing the characters. Thanks for your comment!
Stephanie Elizabeth

NetMassimo wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 12:44 I like thrillers with secrets unveiled in various twists, so this one seems intriguing even if some parts are really brutal. Thank you for your great review!
Thanks for your kind words :)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”