Review by Leen282 -- The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leen282
2021 Reading Goal: 26
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Review by Leen282 -- The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Leen282 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Dark Web Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Let me start by saying that I like reading crime novels. I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare and rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to lovers of the genre - mature audience only as explained further down. The book is fourth in a series, and I will probably read the first three as well.

After the gruesome death of a prominent judge, inspector Sheehan and his colleagues are called in to investigate the judge's murder. When a second murder occurs, with the same modus operandi, it is clear the cases are linked, but the team has difficulty finding a connection between the two victims. The killer is not yet satisfied and continues his murders, seemingly without making mistakes and without leaving clues.

During the investigation, the police stumble on a blog on the Dark Web. This Dark Web is a part of the internet with well-hidden access to all kinds of illegal activity. In his blog entries, the killer calls himself Nemein and gives lengthy descriptions of his thought process and the actual murders. Will these blog entries help to identify the killer? Will the police be able to avoid another death?

The book gives an overview of the protagonists before starting the actual story. This overview is helpful for the readers to refer to in case of confusion. It is not necessary, though, since the book itself gives enough information about the different characters and their role in the story. I enjoyed reading the book. It has all the right ingredients for spending several enjoyable hours: crime, suspense, clues about the killer, comments about an innocent bystander, making this person look suspicious. I was not surprised when the killer's identity was revealed, I suspected him throughout the book, even if the author made me doubt my choice now and then by adding false clues. Like in any good crime mystery, the inspector explains in the end how he figured everything out.

There are a few typos in the book. I also sometimes found the blog entries a bit too lengthy, but this may be due to my reading in the evenings when tired. These two minor comments do not impact the perfect rating of this book. As mentioned above, the murders are gruesome, and the book describes the gory details. There is also a lot of reference to abnormal sexual activity. Keeping this in mind, I recommend the book to a mature audience, which is fine with explicit details in written text.

The Dark Web Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
JM Reviews
2021 Reading Goal: 150
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jm-reviews.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes

Post by JM Reviews »

A web where criminals posts their crime. That idea sounds delightful. I'm going to read this one. Nice review
Your success is not completely deserved, and the failure of others is not completely deserved either :D
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

JM Reviews wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 02:30 A web where criminals posts their crime. That idea sounds delightful. I'm going to read this one. Nice review
Thanks, enjoy the reading!
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-fanatic.html
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato

Post by book_fanatic_ »

I have read and reviewed this book. I agree with you on the traits and rating. It's a great crime-thriller. Great review.
She read books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live. - Annie Dillard
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

book_fanatic_ wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 03:35 I have read and reviewed this book. I agree with you on the traits and rating. It's a great crime-thriller. Great review.
Thanks for commenting, happy to hear you enjoyed it as well.
Awesomeliker
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awesomeliker.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Awesomeliker »

Looks interesting! I'm definitely going to read this one. Thanks for the great review!
Live your life in a way that you won't look back and regret things :D
Elvis Best
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I've already read this book and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Thanks for the great review,
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
sanjus
2021 Reading Goal: 21
Currently Reading: Charles' Story
Bookshelf Size: 383
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: Expect No Help: the life and times of Jumpin' Jack Flash by Cesspool Jones
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sanjus »

Quite wonderful story where criminals post their crimes on the web. Thanks for your insightful review on this book.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- I believe this is my own quote. If someone quoted this before I am glad to know.
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

Awesomeliker wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 16:01 Looks interesting! I'm definitely going to read this one. Thanks for the great review!
Enjoy the reading ☺️
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

Ekabajong wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 17:30 I've already read this book and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Thanks for the great review,
I am going to have a look at your review, it's always interesting to see which elements stood out to others.
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

sanjus wrote: 22 Jun 2020, 02:29 Quite wonderful story where criminals post their crimes on the web. Thanks for your insightful review on this book.
Thanks for stopping by.
Honest-reviewer
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Wonderful review! I loved this book too.. The author has done a pretty good job.
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 22 Jun 2020, 05:36 Wonderful review! I loved this book too.. The author has done a pretty good job.
He sure did. I hope the other books in the series are as good.
BookBoyP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookboyp.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by BookBoyP »

The killer sounds very detailed and difficult to apprehend. It'll be fun solving this mystery with the inspectors.
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

BookBoyP wrote: 22 Jun 2020, 07:29 The killer sounds very detailed and difficult to apprehend. It'll be fun solving this mystery with the inspectors.
For me it sure was. Thanks for commenting.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”