Official Review: The Drone Directive by Anthony Joseph

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 245
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: The Cuban Approach by Paquita Lamacraft
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Drone Directive by Anthony Joseph

Post by unamilagra »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Drone Directive" by Anthony Joseph.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mike Ventura is a detective with the Phoenix Police Department. His personality and unconventional approach to police work get him results but earn many enemies, both among criminals and other law enforcement officers. Carlos Pelligro is a young genius who dropped out of MIT to take care of his handicapped sister. In order to make ends meet, he has reluctantly become involved in a Phoenix gang. When a weaponized army of drones begins descending on Phoenix and using lethal force to stop criminals in the middle of their crimes, Mike and Carlos become an unlikely duo in an effort to find out who is behind the attacks and why.

The Drone Directive by Anthony Joseph is a fast-paced crime novel featuring futuristic drone technology. It examines the age-old question of where society should draw the line between personal freedom and public safety. There are a lot of characters in this book, and the narration switches between many different perspectives. It can sometimes be difficult to remember who all the characters are, but their stories are woven together with intricate detail. The book consists of 92 short chapters that switch between the various points of view, which keeps the plot moving. This style really lends itself to the fact that many different things are going on at the same time, and it helped keep me tuned into the book to find out what would happen next.

While some novels feature action at the expense of character development, I really liked that this book didn’t make that sacrifice. The book presents an interesting collection of people who are all complex. It was often difficult to tell who the “good guys” and “bad guys” were until the end of the book, as each character was motivated by his or her own belief system and emotional baggage. They are all realistic in that they had their personal strengths and weaknesses and were flawed to some extent. I think the reader’s depth of understanding of each of them was enhanced by the fact the reader gets to experience the story from so many points of view.

This was a truly exciting and enjoyable book to read, but I did notice a few issues. First, the book needs to be professionally edited, as I found well in excess of ten errors throughout the text. Secondly, while most of the book is told in third-person narration, there are a couple of chapters in the middle of the book that are told from the first-person perspective of a fairly minor character. I found this odd, especially because it was not consistent throughout the book, as this character’s later chapters switched back to the third-person perspective. Finally, while I felt that the characters were complex and realistic, I didn’t really like any of them. While I rooted for a positive outcome, the characters all had so many personal flaws that I didn’t become emotionally invested in anyone.

Given the above-mentioned strengths and weaknesses, I rate The Drone Directive 3 out of 4 stars. Overall, I found it difficult to put down, and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys action-packed detective stories. I could definitely picture this book as a movie someday. Those who prefer reading about lovable characters may not enjoy this book. There was considerable profanity, so I would recommend that anyone who is sensitive to the frequent use of the “f-word” avoid the book.

The Drone Directive
View: on Bookshelves

Rubbi
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rubbi.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rubbi »

This is a captivating read and I enjoyed reading your review. I think if the inconsistencies in the book are addressed, this is an enjoyable book.

Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Thea Frederick »

Thank you for the review, it's nicely written! This sounds like an interesting read!
-Thea M. Frederick

Mr_Wimbaum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-wimbaum.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Mr_Wimbaum »

I’m not usually a fan of crime novels, but you’ve made this sound intriguing. Thanks for reviewing it!

NetMassimo
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems an engaging detective story that's well developed and offers some food for thought about today's hot topic of mass surveillance and who watches the watchers. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Tonika632
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Tonika632 »

This sounds like a well-developed story. I might take a peek. Great review!

KerriG 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kerrig-20.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by KerriG 20 »

This sounds like a book I'd want to read but will not because I am a fan of happy endings where the underdog carries the day. Good work!

unamilagra

Post by unamilagra »

Rubbi wrote:
21 Jun 2020, 17:17
This is a captivating read and I enjoyed reading your review. I think if the inconsistencies in the book are addressed, this is an enjoyable book.
I agree, the book just needs some minor tweaks. Thanks for reading my review!

Thea Frederick wrote:
21 Jun 2020, 23:13
Thank you for the review, it's nicely written! This sounds like an interesting read!
Thank you for commenting and for the compliment!

Mr_Wimbaum wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 03:37
I’m not usually a fan of crime novels, but you’ve made this sound intriguing. Thanks for reviewing it!
Thank you for stopping by to comment!

NetMassimo wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 04:51
This seems an engaging detective story that's well developed and offers some food for thought about today's hot topic of mass surveillance and who watches the watchers. Thank you for your great review!
Thank you for your comment!

Tonika632 wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 08:06
This sounds like a well-developed story. I might take a peek. Great review!
I hope you enjoy it if you decide to check it out. Thanks for commenting!

ian george
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ian george »

Well seems it like if there a is drone detective installed in every department with that type of persona not caring about friends too or what the hell anyone thinks about him is one dimentional approach hmm tough hmm a bit of chrisma insights oh yeah seems to balance the job

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by Ellylion »

I guess, this book raises an important question, but I don't really like that it doesn't have a single reliable character. Thank you for a great and honest review!

Ballbender
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ballbender.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Ballbender »

I like reading books with this type of book. This book has a thriller and a lot of suspense. It's action-packed with crime and cases. It's left for the detectives to solve this crime cases.

Dee_Robert
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-robert.html
Latest Review: The Secrets of Living A Fantastic Life by Dr Allen Lycka, Harriet Tinka
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Dee_Robert »

That would be me, this is right up my alley.
I love thrillers like this. The criminal and the officer, sounds delicious.

Great Review.
For me, For man & For God.
-Dee.

Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Adanna Inya »

Mike and Carlos will make a formidable duo. I love detective stories, especially when executed perfectly. I hope that the author takes note of your observations and does the needful. This is a great story. Beautiful review.

unamilagra

Post by unamilagra »

ian george wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 05:08
Well seems it like if there a is drone detective installed in every department with that type of persona not caring about friends too or what the hell anyone thinks about him is one dimentional approach hmm tough hmm a bit of chrisma insights oh yeah seems to balance the job
Thanks for commenting!

Ellylion wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 09:43
I guess, this book raises an important question, but I don't really like that it doesn't have a single reliable character. Thank you for a great and honest review!
Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Ballbender wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 10:19
I like reading books with this type of book. This book has a thriller and a lot of suspense. It's action-packed with crime and cases. It's left for the detectives to solve this crime cases.
Thanks for your comment!

Dee_Robert wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 16:25
That would be me, this is right up my alley.
I love thrillers like this. The criminal and the officer, sounds delicious.

Great Review.
I hope you enjoy it if you decide to check it out! Thanks for stopping by.

Adanna Inya wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 04:04
Mike and Carlos will make a formidable duo. I love detective stories, especially when executed perfectly. I hope that the author takes note of your observations and does the needful. This is a great story. Beautiful review.
Thanks for commenting!

Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Usma Khann »

The book deals with sensitive issues and looks like the author has tackled them in a clever way. Appreciate the insightful review.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”