Official Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
raikyuu
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Official Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Who killed Chatunga?" by Muvhaki Tasu.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who Killed Chatunga is a murder mystery novel that is set in Zimbabwe. The book tells the story of a murder inside the Ibwe family home and the attempt to identify the killer, all while unraveling the dark secrets of this powerful family. The author, Muvhaki Tasu, brings into light multiple themes such as corruption and colonial history to commentate on Zimbabwe’s political and cultural scenery.

The book starts with a Canadian named Shamiso Mathe as she travels to Zimbabwe to meet her fiancé’s family. However, the family, being rich and powerful as they are, won’t allow their son to be married to Shamiso. In the middle of this drama, a murder takes place inside the household, and Shamiso is framed for the murder. Hoping to clear Shamiso’s name, the housekeeper, Shoko, hatches a plot to reveal the dark secrets of the corrupt family, along with the identity of the murderer.

The book makes use of multiple themes such as corruption, superstition, and colonial history, all of which form the backdrop of the murder mystery. These themes are unified and expressed through Shamiso’s experiences with the Ibwe family, a family that embodies the corruption that plagues Zimbabwe. Using all these, the book paints the political and cultural scenery of Zimbabwe through the characters’ interactions and the mind games they’re engaged in.

However, because the author tends to commentate on the political and cultural scenery of Zimbabwe, the book engages in too much exposition to describe the characters’ backgrounds. This can make the novel too dry to read in certain parts, and the reader is being faced with explanations rather than an immersive story. Of course, providing background information can be good practice so that the reader won’t miss some nuances the author might have intended. But the author may benefit from focusing on writing an immersive story while seamlessly integrating the story’s themes.

Nevertheless, the book provides an excellent story such that the characters don’t act as mere mouthpieces to the author’s political views. Overall, Who Killed Chatunga is an interesting book that makes use of politics and culture to add to the story’s intrigue. Despite the instances of dry exposition in the book, I have to give it 4 out of 4 stars because the themes add great value to the story. While I can’t recommend this book to younger audiences because there are scenes with sex and violence, I can recommend this book to those who wish to see more variety in the murder mystery genre.

Who killed Chatunga?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
-rk

Krupali
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krupali.html
Latest Review: Just Another Day by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Krupali »

This is a good review. I really like your insights about the book and now I wish to read the book as well. I really like the stories where the killer has to be found and the dark secrets have to be revealed. Thank you so much for sharing your feedback!
Krupali :techie-studyingbrown:

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by NetMassimo »

A mystery set in an unusual setting is refreshing. I'm afraid some exposition is inevitable, but adding it without being heavy-handed is tricky. Thank you for your terrific review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

gabrielletiemi
Currently Reading: Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielletiemi.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by gabrielletiemi »

This book has an interesting theme that reminds me of Mayombe by Pepetela. I'm pretty curious to see how this story turns out. Thanks for the great review!

Michelle Fred
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: The Judge part 1 and 2 by Ian RB Morris

Post by Michelle Fred »

Even though I tend to steer clear of books with political themes, my love for reading about other cultures overshadows all else. Hopefully, the political commentary won't dim my reading experience.

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Elvis Best »

The setting of this book makes it all the more interesting to me. I love how African writters are putting out interesting books in recent times. Thanks for the great review.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Usma Khann »

Well, I was right. The book does seem as catchy as its title. But because of it's erotic nature, I will pass on this one. Appreciate the honest review.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:

Anthony__
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 340
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Anthony__ »

I really liked the setting and the fact that it depicts politics in Africa. I will read the book. You really explained it well. Great review.

Alexandros92
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandros92.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Alexandros92 »

Sound very interesting, something different. Thank you for your review :)

Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Priyanka2304 »

Thanks for the review. I liked the concept of the book. I may feel like reading it someday.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”