Official Review: Rebirth of the Gangster Act 2

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: Let Me Tell You....Hillary Why You Lost. by Trib Garr

Official Review: Rebirth of the Gangster Act 2

Post by JKO »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rebirth of the Gangster Act 2" by CJ Standal.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rebirth of the Gangster Act 2: What’s Old is New by CJ Standal is a comic novel that follows the story of the Anderson and Thompson families as the events of the past continue to haunt them in crime-related situations. This book is the second book of the Rebirth of the Gangster series. Juan Romera does the artwork.

The story starts as things begin to go sour for Marcus Anderson. His life comes crumbling down when someone blackmails him into breaking the law to prepare documents that are required to facilitate the release of a criminal. Things become even worse when he learns that his friend, Lex, has been murdered. As Detective Sanchez and her partner look into Lex's murder case, another body turns up. But who else has been killed? What is the relationship between the two murders? Detective Sanchez now has her hands full as she tries to find answers to the murders. However, Markus' mom, Andrea, tries to clean up his mess and would go to great lengths to do that. Who has blackmailed Markus? Is there any relationship between the blackmailer and the murders? What has Andrea done?

The author has done a very good job with the story as he created a believable setting that readers can relate with. The author draws the reader into the story and keeps them attached by ending several pages with cliffhangers, letting them know that something is about to happen, but not revealing it until the latter stages of the book. This improved the suspense and made me more interested in the story. The plot was also excellent, and the author structured his message well with an interesting sequence of events. I was also pleased that even though I had not read the first book of the series, I was able to follow this story.

In addition to having a good storyline, the artwork of a comic book is extremely important because that’s what is going to give life to the story, especially when you have characters that are offering multiple voices or views. I was very pleased with Juan Romera’s work, as his art style was clean and simple. Each character had his or her own unique look and features, making it easy for me to identify them. Furthermore, because of how well these images were, I felt very refreshed while I read and finished the novel in one sitting. I was also pleased with the type, style, and clarity of font that the author employed in the lettering. This is very important because if people cannot read what you have written, then it doesn’t matter how good the story or artwork is.

This book also seems to be professionally edited, as I found no error throughout the book. Despite the positives, I was not pleased that there was no definite conclusion to this act. This means that I would have to wait for the third book to know how the story unfolds. This, however, doesn’t take anything away from the book for me. The book was put together with a touch of class. As a result, I rate Rebirth of the Gangster Act 2: What's Old is New 4 out of 4 stars, and I recommend it to people who are interested in action and crime-related stories.

Rebirth of the Gangster Act 2
View: on Bookshelves

Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: The Secrets of Living A Fantastic Life by Dr Allen Lycka, Harriet Tinka

Post by Samgum50 »

Great review! This seems like an interesting book to read.

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by NetMassimo »

I've never read a comic crime story. This one seems intriguing with a great development of story and artwork. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your terrific review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Christieee
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christieee.html
Latest Review: Wonks by William Reese Hamilton

Post by Christieee »

Your review was so interesting that it makes me want to read the book already!

Ballbender
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ballbender.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Ballbender »

This is an excellent comic book that is well structured. The plot looks satisfying as well as the storyline. It's a fantastic book to read. The review is impressive.

_Lindsey_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey.html
Latest Review: The Future Is by Carroll Grabham

Post by _Lindsey_ »

What an interesting comic book! You're right that the art style of a graphic novel or comic is one of its most important features, and this can be difficult to balance with a well thought out story. It sounds like the writer did an excellent job. Thanks for the review.

Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Priyanka2304 »

The concept is interesting and that too displayed in the form of a comic has raised my interest double fold.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”