Review by Arite Seki -- Spellbound - The Workings of Dru...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Arite Seki
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Review by Arite Seki -- Spellbound - The Workings of Dru...

Post by Arite Seki »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech" by Marcel Sahade.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Spellbound – The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade is a collection of short stories that are seemingly unrelated, but connect in the end with a thrilling twist. The stories all link back to a company called DrugTech. Drugtech is an all-powerful pharmaceutical company that seems to place profit over morality. The individual stories varied in genre and included elements of fantasy, tragedy, comedy and even thrillers.

The story variety included a boy who finds a book full of spells, a pirate crew in search of lost treasure, a man framed for drug smuggling, a cursed radioactive stone, a young man who is too shy to ask the person that he likes to a ball and a malicious pharmaceutical company that is fundamentally at the centre of these stories. Although seemingly disparate, these stories connect delightfully at the end and leave the reader with clues of a sequel.

What I liked most about the book was that each story had an interesting conclusion and I was left wondering how the stories would ultimately connect. I also enjoyed how each of the characters was animated and brought to life in such a short space of time. I found the stories full of humour and wit as well as drama. There was no particular aspect of this book that I disliked as I found it to be a fascinating and gripping read.

I give this book a 4 out of 4 stars rating. There were grammatical and spelling errors, but this did not detract from the flow of the book or the understanding of the words. Despite the errors, I still believe that this book deserves a full rating. I found myself truly captivated and spellbound by this book. I thought that the way in which the author brought the stories together was well-planned and creative. The stories also served as a social commentary on the unethical conduct of big companies and organisations. I found that this made the book more than just a collection of short stories and asks us to question the nature of companies today.

I would recommend this book to an audience looking for something suspenseful, particularly in the genre of science fiction. There was no use of vulgar language or explicit content, but I would recommend this book to young adults and a somewhat mature audience. The reason for this is that a few of the topics, such as marital affairs and death, would be more suitable for young adults and those older. The book is also relatively short, so it would be appropriate for readers who want drama and tension introduced and concluded fairly quickly.

Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”