Review by plnjimenez -- Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
plnjimenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plnjimenez.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Review by plnjimenez -- Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by plnjimenez »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Mixed Blessings" by J.M. Muse.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It has been an ongoing battle for mixed-race individuals in the world of discrimination and prejudice. In Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse, we are introduced to different individuals fighting for what they know is morally right. A minister fights discrimination by increasing the population of people with African descent which he will call Blacks. A woman with a mixed-Japanese race struggles to prove that her physical features should not hinder her recognition as a Japanese. A woman with a mixed-Mexican race explores her Mexican roots in her teenage years. A man with a pure African race fights for the safety of his family amid the ongoing battle between mixed-races and the Whites.

As someone who is not widely familiar with the experiences of people facing racial discrimination, I found Mixed Blessings as an opportunity to catch a glimpse of this current situation thus, what I liked most about the book. It was not only a captivating read but also somehow informative. It makes you wonder and question the reasoning behind people’s fight for the recognition of their race. It makes you wonder how come other people have this need to make their race more superior than others.

Some of the characters who I think are important and have more stories to tell did not have as much exposure as I expected, which is what I liked the least about the book. Major key players did have their narratives told however, others who in the beginning had the potential to have a major role, ended up appearing only a few times throughout the story. Their stories would have contributed to a deeper understanding of the issue if it had a more in-depth exposure.

I give Mixed Blessings a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I could not give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars because of the number of typographical and grammatical errors observed. Aside from this, everything else is satisfactory thus, a recommended read. Despite the seriousness of the issue, the book was not a heavy read hence, it is still a recommended read during one’s leisure time. It may tackle a grave issue but it was narrated in such a way that the reader would not feel bored or intimidated.

The audience for Mixed Blessings can be readers who are interested to know more about racial discrimination albeit its fictitious setup. The scenarios are still relatable to reality. It will give readers the chance to see the impact of racial discrimination through the eyes of the oppressed. On the other hand, this book is not for readers who are not comfortable with reading a book that revolves around racial discrimination. Readers who may be sensitive when it comes to this issue may find it difficult to appreciate reading through this book.

Mixed Blessings
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”