How Scary is The Shining?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
laureng
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laureng.html

Re: How Scary is The Shining?

Post by laureng »

It depends how you handle horror stories. My mom tried to read it when she was in the house alone and she was scared out of her mind, so she never read it again. I however loved it! I also felt that the movie wasn't as scary as people made it out to be, but then again I also enjoy horror movies.
mahbub

Post by mahbub »

I think The Shining could be a literate and extremely tense horror film. whereas it's not as gory and brutal as a lot of fashionable horror films, like "Saw", it's still very alarming, particularly for kids. there's language and nakedness likewise.
Wndr_Wmn
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wndr-wmn.html

Post by Wndr_Wmn »

How have I not read this! I'm on it!
kimgreen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimgreen.html

Post by kimgreen »

I have been wondering this same question.... It's on my "to-read" list but I just can't muster up to it for some reason!
ytombstone

Post by ytombstone »

It's a classic, I can read this or watch the movie whenever it's on.
Ropis
Favorite Author: Stephen King
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Ropis »

violetpretty wrote:I found the book to be quite haunting and creepy. The film, although scary, didn't live up to the book in my opinion. I loved the book and think it is one of Stephen King's finest.
I agree. :wink:
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." - Ralph W. Emerson
sflaherty42
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sflaherty42.html
Latest Review: "Your Career in a Fish Bowl" by Michael L Wilson

Post by sflaherty42 »

It's more eerie and psychological. A lot if the scariness of the movie was visually based whereas the book really got inside your head. The author included creepy situations that the movie makers didn't incorporate. It is a great book and I highly recommend it. It may ruin the movie for you though because it is better and you will be constantly comparing the two
Latest Review: "Your Career in a Fish Bowl" by Michael L Wilson
salberson 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salberson-10.html

Post by salberson 10 »

I have been wondering if it was worth a read - enjoyed this forum - I think I will pick it up and give it a shot
SparklingOne
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by SparklingOne »

I thought Salem's Lot was scarier than The Shining.
Grarodkay89

Post by Grarodkay89 »

SPOILERS, yo!

How scary is The Shining? Huh. Not as "omg, why am I reading this near nightfall???!!" scary as Salem's Lot.

There are two parts that really scared me: when Jack goes to check what scared Danny and he ALMOST opens the bathroom door, but turns away and as he does so...he hears something from within step toward the bathroom door to let him IN. Holy cow. That horrified me.

Also, the scene out on the grounds with Jack and the animal-shaped hedges. You'd think that such a setting would be comical, but no. No. The SUSPENSE!

It's weird because both Danny and Jack experienced the bathroom lady and the hedges, but the encounters that adult Jack faced scared me more than what "helpless" kid Danny faced. Shouldn't I have been more frightened for the kid?
SparklingOne
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by SparklingOne »

Grarodkay89 wrote:SPOILERS, yo!

How scary is The Shining? Huh. Not as "omg, why am I reading this near nightfall???!!" scary as Salem's Lot.

There are two parts that really scared me: when Jack goes to check what scared Danny and he ALMOST opens the bathroom door, but turns away and as he does so...he hears something from within step toward the bathroom door to let him IN. Holy cow. That horrified me.

Also, the scene out on the grounds with Jack and the animal-shaped hedges. You'd think that such a setting would be comical, but no. No. The SUSPENSE!

It's weird because both Danny and Jack experienced the bathroom lady and the hedges, but the encounters that adult Jack faced scared me more than what "helpless" kid Danny faced. Shouldn't I have been more frightened for the kid?
I think the book made you scared for Jack because you knew the place wanted him. The kids paranormal stuff was mostly visions until bathroom lady and the hedges.
Did you know Doctor Sleep is the sequel to the Shining? It's pretty new so still pricy.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
muggle

Post by muggle »

I thought the Shining was pretty scary, especially the "hedges". the follow-up to The Shining, Doctor Sleep was an excellent book.

Still, one of the scariest from King IMHO was "IT". I will never look at Clowns the same again. :)
L Brox
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-brox.html

Post by L Brox »

I am currently half way through The Shining - I don't find it scary at all.

Next on my list is IT - I love the IT film scared me senseless as a kid so I am hoping the book does the same.
Supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
Mangotea1988

Post by Mangotea1988 »

It's scary in that watching Jack's slow, painful slide is plausible enough to be terrifying. The hotel is only intensifying what's already there and one of the themes is the effects addiction and violence has over generations, so some of the worst parts (to me) are the flashbacks of the way's Jack's life has already been poisoned. The actual supernatural stuff is definitely creepy but is almost more like a symptom than a cause of Jack's degeneration.
akm10c
Currently Reading: Everything Burns
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akm10c.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by akm10c »

Loved the book and movie. Salem' s Lot is another great novel by King, and to me far outperforms the movie adaptation.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”