How Scary is The Shining?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jonesmmichelle1
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonesmmichelle1.html

Re: How Scary is The Shining?

Post by jonesmmichelle1 »

I thought the Shining was an amazing book and movie! I was so intrigued by it that I have visited the Stanley Hotel multiple times. However, I did find out that the Stanley is not where the movie was filmed. I found the book to be scarier than the movie, I feel this in part is due to my imagination and how I visualize the details in the book.
open-book
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-open-book.html

Post by open-book »

I completely agree with you! I found that the book was much better than the film, although the movie is actually a classic I have watched many times. The book was packed full of so much more detail in regards to so many aspects that were left out of the movie. I love the hedge animals!! They should have included them in the movie for sure!

Also I have to confess, whilst reading the book I had a nightmare that I was stuck in the overlook hotel and couldn't get out! I just kept running through those corridors with that crazy carpet haha lol
Dashkova

Post by Dashkova »

Grarodkay89 wrote:There are two parts that really scared me: when Jack goes to check what scared Danny and he ALMOST opens the bathroom door, but turns away and as he does so...he hears something from within step toward the bathroom door to let him IN. Holy cow. That horrified me.
ME TOO. Those were the exact same parts that scared me the most. My mom told me once that in a Stephen King interview when asked if he was ever scared while writing he said only once and that it was when writing the 217 scene. I don't know if he meant the Danny one or the Jack one, but the Jack one was way scarier to me so I'm just gonna assume he meant that one. Another really scary part was when someone(I forget who, I assume Dick) was remembering when a hotel worker got fired for having a ghostly experience in 217 and he mentioned how she saw the dead old lady grinning. It was really brief, like one sentence even, but it was really scary.
Grarodkay89 wrote:Also, the scene out on the grounds with Jack and the animal-shaped hedges. You'd think that such a setting would be comical, but no. No. The SUSPENSE!

It's weird because both Danny and Jack experienced the bathroom lady and the hedges, but the encounters that adult Jack faced scared me more than what "helpless" kid Danny faced. Shouldn't I have been more frightened for the kid?
I feel the same way, I didn't find the scenes where the topiary animals were attacking to be scary at all, I thought it was way creepier with Jack where he never actually saw them AS they moved and just saw them in new positions each time he looked. I think it's the same thing with Jack vs Danny's experiences in 217, it's that Jack never really sees anything that makes it creepier. I think you're probably like me where you happen to find subtler, more mysterious things scarier than stuff that's more over-the-top and I think it's because the smaller, subtler things are more believable. Stuff that is obviously fantastical and completely unbelievable is not the kind of stuff that makes my skin crawl and the hairs stand up.
Mangotea1988 wrote:It's scary in that watching Jack's slow, painful slide is plausible enough to be terrifying. The hotel is only intensifying what's already there and one of the themes is the effects addiction and violence has over generations, so some of the worst parts (to me) are the flashbacks of the way's Jack's life has already been poisoned. The actual supernatural stuff is definitely creepy but is almost more like a symptom than a cause of Jack's degeneration.
Completely agree.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I don't think it is as frighting as Stanley Kubrick's version, if you've watched that. There are moments that are a bit scary, but it is definitely not one of King's scariest.
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

It sounds like the book would be too SAD for me. Jack had some father issues, perhaps? Abusive home? Horrible childhood memories? That's the kind of thing that made me put down Salem's Lot.
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard
Abdullai Rogers
Currently Reading: Three weeks in spring
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Abdullai Rogers »

Reading thr book is better because it train the mind on the act of imagination
Lennycat
Currently Reading: finding nary
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lennycat.html
Latest Review: Saving Nary by Carol DeMent

Post by Lennycat »

In my opinion, I thought The Shining was pretty darn scary. At the time that I read it, I lived alone in a city that I had just moved to and didn't know anyone yet. I would read it at night before going to sleep and scare the crap out of myself overtime I heard a strange creek or the sound of the radiator going on and off. It was a book that I couldn't put down.
Joanna82
Currently Reading: The Spy
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by Joanna82 »

I read it recently, and since I only had time to read it at night, it seemed scarier to me. It was definitely scarier than the movie. Now I'm reading the sequel, Doctor Sleep.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

I've had this same question so I appreciated reading this thread to find out the difference. I've seen the movie only, but now I'm interested in picking up the book to explore the psychological element.
NikkyT
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyt.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by NikkyT »

I'm really glad I came across this thread, this is on my TBR list for this year, I feel a bit more ready for it now :)
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Djorita
Currently Reading:

Post by Djorita »

The Shining was right up there with Salem's Lot & Carrie. Even the movie gave me the creepy crawlies.
Writing queen

Post by Writing queen »

I loved both book and movie. When I first read the book I was looking over my shoulder for a few weeks. Same with the movie. I couldn't believe how scared I got.
Meenahhhh
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meenahhhh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Meenahhhh »

Quite scary. I saw it in my first year of university for a hostel movie night and I was scared out of my mind.
Charlienmegan Wehner
Currently Reading: Finding Joy with an Invisible Chronic Illness
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlienmegan-wehner.html
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Post by Charlienmegan Wehner »

I think The Shining is pretty scary although I get scared fairly easily. In my opinion, the movie wasn’t as scary as the book, however, I would recommend both!
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King
Ashna Tibrewal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Ashna Tibrewal »

I don't find it scary, I did find IT extremely scary because I fear clowns.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”