Review by Rohit09 -- The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rohit09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rohit09.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Review by Rohit09 -- The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Rohit09 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Dark Web Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare is a crime fiction novel, and it is the fourth book in the Inspector Sheehan Mysteries series. Chief Inspector Jim Sheehan and his team investigate a series of gruesome murders, but the highly intelligent killer doesn't leave any clue behind. The team is baffled and desperate for evidence until they find a blog on the dark web written by the killer where he describes the murders after presenting a philosophical argument to justify his actions. They also come across "The Club", a secret group of the elite that indulge in some ghastly and sadistic activities. Pitted against some of the most powerful and rich people of the country, the case tests the wit and patience of Jim Sheehan and his team as they race against time to catch the killer.

What I loved the most about the book was the relationship between the detectives and their camaraderie. Their humor and the way they pull each other's leg was a welcome change to the otherwise dark atmosphere of the story which is excellently created by the author. There is a plethora of characters, but due to the author's brilliance in describing each character, I never got confused between anyone. Although the story is plot-driven, the author gives us enough glimpse into the detectives' personal lives to make us care for them.

Even though it is the fourth book in the series, it can be read as a standalone novel. I faced no problem in understanding the characters and the plot was unique with no connection with any of the previous books in the series. The pace of the plot remained steady for the major part of the book and picked up speed during the climax. The description of the murders was adequately provided to comprehend the brutal and vicious nature of the killer.

For the convenience of the readers, the author has provided a list of characters and a glossary of some acronyms of the Police Service of Northern Ireland at the beginning of the book.

There isn't anything that I didn't like about the book. I could identify the killer and his motive after the third murder, but that doesn't make any difference because I think this story intends to make us question some vital concepts of philosophy that we ignore. It also illustrates the dangerous nexus of our politicians, bureaucrats, and criminals and the anger and helplessness of the common man.

I give 4 out of 4 stars to this book. It is professionally edited, and there was only a single error. This book is for mature readers only as it has some graphic details of murder and torture. If reading about sexual abuse, child abuse, and torture bothers you, I wouldn't recommend this to you. However, if you enjoy books that have a dark atmosphere and if you're comfortable with a bit of gore, then you are going to love it. This book will leave you with something to ponder over long after you finish reading it.

The Dark Web Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”