Official Review: One Last Move by Wes Snowden

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: One Last Move by Wes Snowden

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "One Last Move" by Wes Snowden.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“That Lonely time when the world outside is struggling to find its way back to some kind of normal.”

Lawrence Rosewood’s life gets turned upside down when his business partner and long-term friend, Theodore Villeneuve, takes his own life under mysterious circumstances. Theodore’s sudden death opens a whole new can of worms for everyone close to him, including his wife and child. With the investigation of Ted’s suspicious death underway, Lawrence finds himself battling to keep his company from being taken over by a group of criminals disguised as businessmen. Will Lawrence be able to save his business? Also, why are the men after Lawrence’s company?

One Last Move by Wes Snowden is a modern-day psychological thriller set in the backdrop of Bridgeport, Connecticut. The narrative has elements of suspense, crime, office drama, and hints of romance, all of which are bound to captivate readers.

My favorite part of the book was the first part of chapter one for its introspectiveness and gems of wisdom and truth. The initial suspense surrounding Theodore’s death was gripping and kept me turning pages. The main character was an interesting, multidimensional character to follow, even though I didn’t always agree with his line of thought and judgments. The most endearing character to me was LOM for his grace, intellect, and sense of humor towards the hand that life dealt him. The romance aspect of the story was interesting, though complex. However, I really detested Lawrence’s entitlement to the two love interests he had.

The narrative would have been a fast-paced read all through if it wasn’t for all the detailed company politics. Though company politics and related occurrences were part of the main story, the number of technical details pertaining to the company bogged the story down despite it being integral to the plot. Another issue I had was that there were too many side characters mentioned by name, and it was difficult to keep up with all of them at times. In addition, there were instances where I felt the author missed the chance to elicit emotions from the readers by telling the story rather than showing. For example, I expected more of an emotional reaction and shock to the news Angie broke to Tod after picking him up from boarding school. Although the book appeared to be professionally edited, there were a few errors that lingered, such as misspelled words and missing words.

Overall, this was an enjoyable read, one that I would recommend to fans of crime novels. Considering all aspects of the book, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. The novel would be best suited for a mature audience, as there is the use of strong language and violence.

One Last Move
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I like psychological thriller, and this one seems intriguing, but adding too much to the story can be detrimental to pace and tension, which is crucial in this kind of novel. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

I would love to see how Theodore's death connects to Lawrence's debacle on the business front. Sounds like a great story. Great review too!
tjportugal
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjportugal.html
Latest Review: Mister Sleepy by Jane Alice

Post by tjportugal »

Having gems of wisdom and truth blended with suspense and crime is very promising. I'm sorry to hear that the narrative did not keep a high standard and that the book had some editing problems.
Thank you for the honest review!
To read or not to read? That's not even a question!
Amy Murdoch Coleman
Favorite Book: Circe
Currently Reading: Hannah's War
Bookshelf Size: 6988
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-murdoch-coleman.html
Latest Review: Caretaker by George Farrell

Post by Amy Murdoch Coleman »

Very nice review! I always have issues with books that have tons of side characters that don't have much relevance to the story.
HusainNecklace52
Favorite Book: The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto
Currently Reading: A History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-husainnecklace52.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by HusainNecklace52 »

Thank you for your review!
I really enjoyed the way you surmised the book in a concise manner. I also really liked your view about the book having a lot of characters that derails the plot. I completely agree to this I've noticed and experienced the exact same thing in several books.
Sheila_Jay
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sheila_Jay »

A great review though I am not convinced that this is one of those books that I need to read. Anyway, thanks for the honest review.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Teazae
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Teazae »

Wonderful, one question that is still stuck in my mind is Lawrence going to save his business? I get why those guys that are pretending to be a business men why they are after his company. Great review
Marshal mutai
Currently Reading: The Sojourners
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marshal-mutai.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray

Post by Marshal mutai »

Just as you said, too many side characters impair with the flow of the narrative by making it hard to grasp the content and keeping one entertained. Beautiful review!
UzmaKhan
Currently Reading: The Woman Before Wallis
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzmakhan.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by UzmaKhan »

This book sounds interesting. Nice review btw. Thanks🌸

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”