Official Review: Mike Canada: Coldblooded

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nickolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: The Unsurrendered by Joyce Shaughnessy

Official Review: Mike Canada: Coldblooded

Post by Nickolas Farmakis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mike Canada: Coldblooded" by Demetric Canada.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mike Canada: Coldblooded by Demetric Canada is a fictional short story about gangster crime in Michigan. The author describes the adventures of an African American ex-Marine, named Canada, who uncovers the powerful gangster, nicknamed Scarvini. The author explores themes, such as racism, loyalty, death, romance, poverty, prostitution, and crime. The tone in the book is simple, informal, and casual, as there is plenty of everyday dialogue in the text.

The author begins the novel with the abduction of Canada’s brother, named Melvin. Melvin’s wife calls Canada to inform him about the kidnapping of her husband, and Canada quickly drives to Michigan to investigate. After investigating a few things, Canada is led to a prostitute, named Keoni, who gives him valuable information regarding his brother’s abduction and the local gang crime. Canada falls in love with Keoni, beginning a romance between them. Canada utilizes his military skills to eliminate some of Scarvini’s men, as he comes closer to identifying the mysterious Scarvini and locating his brother. Who is this infamous Scarvini and how much power does he have? Will Canada find his brother? Will Canada and Keoni forge a powerful romance?

There were a few positive characteristics in the novel. To be more precise, the story was professionally edited, as I encountered no errors in the whole book. What I liked most about the book was that it included suspense, tension, and emotion, which engaged me in the story. In other words, the book was not boring, but rather it was interesting and exciting.

Nevertheless, there were also many negative elements in the story. Firstly, the story was cliché and unoriginal, as it was like many other fictional crime stories. The story was also confusing, as the author skipped important details, which did not allow me to clearly understand the events developing in the novel. What I disliked most about the book was that it included too much profanity and many erotic scenes, which distracted me from the main themes in the story.

This book is best suited for adult readers interested in crime thrillers. Young readers should not read this book, as it included profanity and erotic scenes. Readers of all religions, including non-religion, may enjoy this book.

All in all, I rate this book with 2 out of 4 stars. I did not give it a higher score, as it was unoriginal and confusing. Nonetheless, a lower score would have been unfair, as the story was engaging and excellently edited.

Mike Canada: Coldblooded
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

geebeex
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geebeex.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by geebeex »

I can see how the irrelevant scenes could distract from the storyline, but the adventure sounds pretty good! Thanks for the great review.

Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

Action seasoned with romance is captivating. Will Canada find his brother? will he forge a powerful romance with Keoni? I am indeed curious to find out. Thanks for your honest review.

Michelle Fred
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: The Billionaires’ Handbook by Andrew Stevenson

Post by Michelle Fred »

A nondescript plot, profanity, and overt eroticism, this is not the book for me. Thanks for your honest review.

Cassie Lyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cassie-lyn.html
Latest Review: A Woman to Blame by Vincent Panettiere

Post by Cassie Lyn »

Based on your review I can clearly see that this book is not for me. Well done!

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Liege-Killer
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Peter Street:Treasure by Philip Sparrowhawk

Post by NetMassimo »

Reading your description of the plot I see why your judgment is quite harsh. Clearly you can't reinvent the wheel, but an author should try to find a new angle, or some original element to make a story shine. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

LinaJan
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by LinaJan »

Aa, I liked the 'suspense' and 'tension' but if the author skipped things to satisfy the need for resolution of that suspense then I would be left unfulfilled. Hhmm... Thank you for your honest review!

DEEPA PUJARI
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: The Life and Legacy of B.B. King: A Mississippi Blues Icon by Diane Williams
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

I like reading about crime and mafia. Good review.

Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

I'll definitely be distracted by depth of profanity and erotic content in the book. So I'll simply move on. Nice review

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”