Official Review: The Other Gloria by L. A. Villafane

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: The Last Merry Go Round by C.L. Charlesworth

Official Review: The Other Gloria by L. A. Villafane

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Other Gloria" by L. A. Villafane.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gloria is understandably shaken when she finds herself driving through the mountains in the middle of the night with no recollection of how she got there. Her hands are trembling and soaked in blood as she grips tightly onto the steering wheel, trying to jog her memory. After this unnerving incident, she is somehow transported back in time to 2003.

She wakes up to the nightmare of her past, ensconced between the blanket and her ex-husband's arm draped over her. How can this be? She escaped the clutches of Charles's abusive grip nearly twenty years ago. To make matters worse, she keeps waking up to different periods in her life, which furthers her confusion. Gloria suffers from a dissociative disorder, which causes her to have gaping holes in her memory. As a coping mechanism, she blocks out traumatic events from the past, but she is also blocking out some of the precious memories of raising her daughters.

Gloria must find a way back to the future, or is it the past? One thing is for sure, something terrible is about to ensue. Why is her mind preventing her from accessing these memories?

As always, I am a sucker for eye-catching visuals, and The Other Gloria by L.A. Villafane piqued my interest with its mysterious cover. Upon further reading, I was delighted to find that the book not only made a great first impression but a lasting one. The book is a psychological thriller that delves deep into the mind of a woman who has suffered immensely through an abusive marriage. The gripping novel is told in the third-person perspective and follows the mentally fragile Gloria Davis as she desperately tries to find the missing pieces to the puzzle that is her life.

The thing that set this book apart from others was the existence of alternate realities constructed by Gloria's subconscious. The timeline jumped back and forth between the years of 2003 and 2019, cleverly providing readers with tidbits of her life. While she had no control over which reality she woke up in, the younger Gloria was armed with the knowledge of what was going to happen to the future Gloria. If she didn't seek refuge from her abusive marriage early on, her future could look bleak, with a fatal outcome.

The author covered some particularly weighty topics; Gloria is subjected to Charles's wrath on numerous occasions—not only is he physically abusive, but he is controlling and has a way of convoluting the truth. It was agonizing to see Gloria stuck in the pattern of abuse that we see so often in volatile relationships. He controls. He attacks. He is infinitely apologetic, and then the cycle repeats. The plight of a battered woman is complicated as it is multilayered and full of uncertainty. No matter how strong Gloria is feeling in the moment, her confidence is shattered by the shrouds of doubt she has. After briefly feeling courageous, she second-guesses herself. The author writes, "Logically, she knows she has plenty of reasons to leave, but in this moment, with things going well, a little doubt slithers into her mind."

While I loved the alternate realities, there were times when the switching became tedious. Initially, the back and forth was confusing, and I found myself having to go back to the beginning of the chapter to figure out which year it was. Thankfully, by the middle, those wrinkles in the story had been ironed out. The Other Gloria was professionally edited, and I found no issues with spelling or grammar, so I happily chose to give the book a rating of four out of four stars.

I would not recommend the book to young readers or those who are triggered by scenes of violence against women. There are instances of profanity, brutality, and rape, so please tread carefully if you are a sensitive reader.

The Other Gloria is an expertly crafted story infused with thrilling twists and turns. With the addition of alternate realities woven into the plot, it gives the book that extra edge. I would recommend the book to readers who love exploring the inner workings of the human mind. For those who love books like The Girl on the Train, or The Butterfly Effect, this book is for you.

The Other Gloria
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Samwisekoop
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samwisekoop.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Samwisekoop »

Good review! I probably wouldn't read it for its profanity, but nonetheless, it sounds like a fascinating story! Thanks!
"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." - Galadriel

hasincla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hasincla.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II

Post by hasincla »

Oh my gosh, this sounds like an intense read! I love the idea of jumping around in time, and piecing everything together until it all becomes clear and everything is revealed. I'm not a real fan of reading about abuse, but this sounds interesting enough to dive into (and it has a "happy" ending?). Thank you for your review!

Stephanie Elizabeth

hasincla wrote:
16 May 2020, 15:55
Oh my gosh, this sounds like an intense read! I love the idea of jumping around in time, and piecing everything together until it all becomes clear and everything is revealed. I'm not a real fan of reading about abuse, but this sounds interesting enough to dive into (and it has a "happy" ending?). Thank you for your review!
The alternate realities really made it special! Thanks for your comment😊

Zee_Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zee-zee.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Zee_Zee »

This sounds like an interesting read. I really do think I'd enjoy this book notwithstanding, the abusive part. Nice review. Thanks!

Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Adanna Inya »

Wow! These must have been scary moments for Gloria. Find yourself back in the arms of the same brute you ran away from. I'll love to read this. Thank you for a sound review.

Wy_Bertram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: Containment Breach by Wm. A. Yandell

Post by Wy_Bertram »

I was similarly pulled in by the interesting cover and I'm pleased to find out the book is as interesting. I enjoy mystery novels, especially ones with unique twists, so I see myself possibly getting into this. 👍

Reubeney
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reubeney.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by Reubeney »

I was thrilled reading your review.

cj_mcrich
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by cj_mcrich »

By referencing The Girl on The Train with this book, I'd love to read it now. Although as you said that the book can be confusing, with a nicely written book like this one, I'd give it a go.

Thank you so much for the review!

Stephanie Elizabeth

Zee_Zee wrote:
16 May 2020, 16:51
This sounds like an interesting read. I really do think I'd enjoy this book notwithstanding, the abusive part. Nice review. Thanks!
Thank you :)

Stephanie Elizabeth

Adanna Inya wrote:
16 May 2020, 18:32
Wow! These must have been scary moments for Gloria. Find yourself back in the arms of the same brute you ran away from. I'll love to read this. Thank you for a sound review.
Yeah; I can't imagine! Thanks for your comment :)

Stephanie Elizabeth

Wy_Bertram wrote:
16 May 2020, 18:38
I was similarly pulled in by the interesting cover and I'm pleased to find out the book is as interesting. I enjoy mystery novels, especially ones with unique twists, so I see myself possibly getting into this. 👍
I'm sure you will get hours of enjoyment from this one! Thanks for your comment.

Rukitejevbo02
Currently Reading: the Whitney cousins
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rukitejevbo02.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Rukitejevbo02 »

I love books about time-travel, so this sounds intriguing. Great review!

Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: Becoming Nobody by Rick Branch

Post by Sunday diamond »

I've been looking for book on time travel ever since I've came across something like that. Well-done for your informative and detailed review

sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: The Count of Monte Cristo
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by sirbobthewise »

Man, what a great review! Just your words had me anxious for Gloria. The dissociative disorder is an interesting aspect to the story and adding that to alternate realities, I’m sure poor Gloria is in a tough and confusing position. It sounds like the author was able to do justice to the difficulties and complications of trauma and abuse, which I can appreciate.

I can imagine that working with those elements, it might be difficult to follow along, but it seems like that author achieved a nice flow to the narrative by the end. And I totally agree that the cover is super-slick. Thanks for your review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”