Review by bjoly2 -- The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bjoly2
Currently Reading: Never Eat Alone
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bjoly2.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Review by bjoly2 -- The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by bjoly2 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Date Farm" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Date Farm by Jack Winnick is a well-executed, action-packed fiction novel that follows Iranian attacks on America and the subsequent American retaliation and outcome of those decisions. I am rating this book 4 out of 4 stars. Each book that Winnick writes gets better and shows his growth as a writer over time.

This book has far less violence than previous books in the series. I think this again is a reflection of how far Winnick has come as a writer. He no longer needs to use overt violence as a means of capturing and keeping the reader’s attention. Violence is still part of the story, but there is far more strategy and plotting involved.

This book, being the fourth in the Lara and Uri series, now has deep character relationships that span 5+ years. These relationships made it much more enjoyable and relatable compared to previous books. Even though the book is the fourth in a series, it can also act as a standalone novel. Winnick does a great job of making sure new readers receive as much backstory as is necessary.

I enjoyed the fact that this story seemed to have a solid, flowing storyline where the reader was not jumping around as much as in previous books. As is Winnick’s usual style, the story begins with a jaw-dropping event that leaves you wondering how things are going to unfold. Continuing with the love story of Lara and Uri, we again get to see them go undercover into situations that leave the reader thinking there’s no way they’ll make it out alive.

I have racked my brain and honestly can’t come up with any criticism for the book. It is a well-written story that I thoroughly enjoyed reading. This is the first one of Winnick’s books that truly captivated my attention throughout and made me want to continue to read more of his work. It is apparent that the book went through many rounds of editing and had little to no errors. This is a nice change of pace as some of Winnick’s earlier stories seemed to have been light on editing and proofreading.

The Date Farm is a novel that can appeal to a broad audience. The book, like others in the series, has many characters who express an underlying desire to take down America and Israel. As such, the story may not be for anyone who is very sensitive towards anti-American or anti-Israeli outcries. But for anyone who is looking for great all-around action and adventure, this is your book.

The Date Farm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Onsam
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Onsam »

First I have to applaud the author of the very interesting book. This is another book in the series that I have read. It has the same ingredients as the other three books, but a different plot. You don't have to read the other three books to enjoy this one, but it does help you with the characters. The author does a great job and putting the reader right into the scenery by giving you the background information you need. I enjoyed this book and I I'm looking forward to read more of the authors books
Uncle_Praise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uncle-praise.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Uncle_Praise »

Great review from the reviewer, I really enjoyed it. I must say I am also a big fan of Jack Winnicks material
sssns
Currently Reading: Honesty is Key
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sssns.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by sssns »

This book has far less violence than previous books in the series. I think this again is a reflection of how far Winnick has come as a writer. He no longer needs to use overt violence as a means of capturing and keeping the reader’s attention. Violence is still part of the story, but there is far more strategy and plotting involved.
This is a helpful observation. I like the use of strategy and plotting instead of overt violence to keep the reader’s attention. Thanks for the insights.
OBC Reviewer
2021 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obc-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unexpected Enemy by Tim Cagle

Post by OBC Reviewer »

Fantastic thriller of Lara and Uri series. I would like to try this one. Thanks for the nice and descriptive review

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”