Review by vermontelf -- Devil in False Colors

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Review by vermontelf -- Devil in False Colors

Post by vermontelf »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Devil in False Colors" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I rate <i>Devil in False Colors: Lara and Uri book 3</i> by Jack Winnick as <b>4 out of 4 stars</b>. This author does a fantastic job of mixing scenes of action with the thoughts and observations by the characters painting very complete pictures in a short period of time.

This book begins with a cop eating his doughnut and being flagged down by a hysterical woman. They run back across the street to a horrific scene at a preschool in Los Angeles. This hate crime spurs an international anti-terrorism task force. A little career advancement and romance are sprinkled in to make this a well rounded novel.

The two main characters are Lara and Uri. This book can completely stand alone, as I read it, but this is the third book about these two characters and their relationship. Lara and Uri have a solid work relationship of taking down difficult terrorist groups as a partnership between the FBI/JTTF and Israeli Mossad. They also have a steamy romantic past. This book begins after Uri and Lara have spent some time apart, in their own countries. Hearing about the horrific hate crimes happening in LA, they assume they may be asked to work together and they are excited and nervous to see each other again. The reader quickly empathizes with these two full of hopes and nerves, while also completely invested in ending this terrorism.

For some readers it may be a bit confusing to keep track of other countries’ alliances and groups, such as DAESH (ISIS). Likewise, there are religious holidays, and various titles and terms that are unfamiliar for many. Some readers will have this background knowledge, other readers will have to focus a bit more as all the details and knowledge are woven into the story through expert dialog and observations.

It is an interesting technique to see these actions unfold from both sides of the events. This book brings us into the minds of the terrorists and how some are carried along with misgivings but all have crucial details and planning involved. We see their evolving plans as we watch the “good guys” trying to catch up and thwart the plans. The “false flags” by the terrorists add to the intrigue by slowing down the investigation; the adrenaline builds as we hope for the terrorists to be discovered by Lara and Uri.

Suddenly, the excitement ramps up again after all the backstories have been fleshed out and Lara is in extreme danger. The action continues to flip flop with who has the upper hand and which rescuer then needs to be rescued. Thrown into the mix of physical battles is the information of a computer worm ready to be deployed, and fighter jets running low on fuel.

If someone told me I was about to read a book that starts with a horrific slaughter scene at a Jewish preschool, I would have no desire to read the book. But Mr. Winnick’s masterful writing allows this book to start with just such a scene and move onto solving a terrorist plot via hate crimes, and still keep humanity and empathy. The scene is well described but not with extreme gristly detail and more of the focus is on the characters and their reactions. Likewise, there is a little swearing in the book, adding realism to the dialog, but it is not extreme. This book may not be appropriate for younger or more timid readers. While religion is a major theme, it is not prohibitive to the reader.

Devil in False Colors
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
tranQu1l1te
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tranQu1l1te »

The review gives a good sense of the scope of the novel as well as the stylistic techniques the author uses to advance the plot and develop the characters. I am now considering starting with Book 1 of the Lara-Uri series in order to enjoy the author's development of the plot line and evolution of the main characters.
Jlblawrence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlblawrence.html
Latest Review: We Don't Just Eat Lettuce! by Allyn Raifstanger

Post by Jlblawrence »

I enjoyed your review and am thankful for reading it! As soon as I read that there was a tragedy involving kids, I immediately ruled it out as something I'd like to read. I wish all stories had a trigger warning when it comes to tragedy involving kids. Otherwise it sounds like an interesting story. Good review!
vermontelf

Post by vermontelf »

Jlblawrence wrote: 12 May 2020, 16:11 I enjoyed your review and am thankful for reading it! As soon as I read that there was a tragedy involving kids, I immediately ruled it out as something I'd like to read. I wish all stories had a trigger warning when it comes to tragedy involving kids. Otherwise it sounds like an interesting story. Good review!
I completely understand what you mean. Really the tragedy is what jumpstarts this book, and then it is referred to a few times. Later, there are really o details involved more than "the shooting at the preschool" or "those poor kids". To begin with, there is only a page or two describing the scene and it is startling, but not overly graphic. Far less than you might hear on the news. Certainly far less graphic or gory than what you would see on the news.
vermontelf

Post by vermontelf »

tranQu1l1te wrote: 12 May 2020, 13:27 The review gives a good sense of the scope of the novel as well as the stylistic techniques the author uses to advance the plot and develop the characters. I am now considering starting with Book 1 of the Lara-Uri series in order to enjoy the author's development of the plot line and evolution of the main characters.
I haven't read the books in the rest of the series, but starting at the beginning makes more sense...and the samples have all been good.
Jlblawrence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlblawrence.html
Latest Review: We Don't Just Eat Lettuce! by Allyn Raifstanger

Post by Jlblawrence »

Thank you for the follow up! I completely understand how a tragedy like that would set the stage for some profound writing in the aftermath. Although, I'm happy to hear they don't reference it in extreme detail. I'm sure it was a very interesting read.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”