Official Review: Spy Determination - Book 3

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Official Review: Spy Determination - Book 3

Post by JKO »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Spy Determination - Book 3" by Karl Braungart.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Spy Determination: Book 3, by Karl Braungart, is the third book of The Remmich/Miller Series. In a bid to reduce international tension, the United States Congress approves the invitation of a group of foreign scientists to work on “project biotechnology” at the Los Alamos National Lab (LANL). An Iraqi spy organization, known as Tariq‘Allah, plan to take advantage of this to illegally obtain a particular study from the LANL. This study proved that leftover atomic energy in control rods was not a waste. To this effect, they send spies to infiltrate the LANL. The directors of the CIA and FBI think the recent congress approval could brew a spying scheme. The CIA and FBI cannot account for the whereabouts of two middle eastern men, as they land in the U.S. They suspect them to be spies. They now hire Paul Remmich and Eric Miller as U.S spies to keep an eye on the foreign scientists, as the duo have relevant experiences with Mid-East spies. What does Tariq'Allah need the research for? Can they be stopped?

I think it is important for action books like this to have a fast pace. I like that this book did not disappoint in that regard. The author started the story swiftly and maintained the pace throughout the book. I also commend the author for a good plot. I was also pleased to see that the author employed the right amount of suspense in telling the story. This kept me on my toes throughout the book and wondering what was going to happen next.

I also liked that the author developed all the key characters very well. He described each key character extensively and in detail. As a result, it made me more attached to them. I was also pleased to read the way the author described each research in detail. It could almost pass for a physics class. For example, I was pleased to learn what nuclear fission was all about as well as how nuclear fission is used in nuclear reactors to produce electricity. I was happy to see that this book was edited properly. I found only one minor grammatical error throughout its pages. As a result, my reading flow was always maintained.

Despite the positives, I found a few parts of the book to be unrealistic. It looked to me like the author did not put extensive thought into giving more realistic explanations to back the sequence of events. For example, the part of the book where the NSA intercepted an email sent by the spies to their superiors as a result of an alteration in the code they inputted. I found this unrealistic because I felt that the spies were well trained to make a mistake as dumb as that. It was almost like the author could not think of any other way to tilt the odds against the Tariq'Allah.

All in all, this was a good read. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I have taken off one star because I found a few parts of the book to be unrealistic. I think this book has the potential to be an excellent read if my concerns are addressed. I recommend this book to people who are interested in science, military, action, and spy books.

Spy Determination - Book 3
View: on Bookshelves
Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

I appreciate how the writer was able to keep you glued throughout this story. A fusion of excellent character development, a decent plot, suspense and action is quite a turn on for me. Thank you for this analysis.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

A spy story full of action and intriguing elements. Despite the flaws you pointed out it's probably worth reading it. Thank you for your informative review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Nath_chuks
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nath-chuks.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Nath_chuks »

I really enjoyed your review.
I like the fact the book is fast paced Action book. Also, the fact it's educating makes me want to read it. Thanks for the review
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

This book is worth reading. But I'll enjoy it much more if it is adapted into a movie.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

A book that's action-oriented offers a captivating narrative.
Thank you for your thorough analysis of the book!
Bet on Me! :idea:
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

This book is about atomic war, I love the subject. I think I'll add it to my TBR list.
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

This sounds like an interesting book. I'm a huge fan of this sort of books and so hope to give this one a try soon. Thanks for the great review! :)
FABIAN_BATS
Favorite Book: Can I Be Frank?
Currently Reading: Witnesses to The Crucifixion
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabian-bats.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B07ZT3ZMJ7

Post by FABIAN_BATS »

A spy book is definitely in order for me. The book seems thrilling, Great review!
Fabian
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

Sounds like an interesting action packed book, but this theme seems to me to be overused. I'll pass on this one sadly. Great review though
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

This seems like a thrilling spy book. Thanks for the great review!
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

This sounds like an intriguing book and looks like it would keep you at the edge of your seat just like the movies. Beautiful review
Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

Two things would really attract me to the book. First, the science oriented background. Secondly, the book being a detective thriller. Nice review.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Glad that you enjoyed the book. Sounds like it is filled with action. However, I think that I can skip this one. Great review and thanks!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”