Official Review: The FIFO Phoenix by R A Berryman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Official Review: The FIFO Phoenix by R A Berryman

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The FIFO Phoenix" by R A Berryman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At the beginning of The FIFO Phoenix, written by R. A. Berryman, readers meet Lucas Booker, an Australian mechanic struggling to make ends meet. The protagonist is happy to land a job at a big iron ore project in the Pilbara region of Western Australia as a FIFO (fly-in, fly-out) worker. Not only does Lucas get a welcome financial lift but also an unexpected and life-changing adventure as he gets entangled in a dangerous ring of ruthless mining fraudsters with international ramifications.

Prompted by the suspicions of the Human Resources Manager of the company, a successful and striking brunette named Madison Farrell, Lucas begins to investigate the mining operation in Pilbara. He thinks it could be a phoenix company – a scheme that siphons money off a company and liquidates it just to set up a similar company to take over the business. In this fraudulent process, the creditors and employees get nothing.

The book has an elaborate and energetic plot. This aspect was what I liked the most about it. The author skillfully constructs a very suspenseful atmosphere, and this tension hooked me in. The narration is dynamic. As readers follow Lucas’ investigation, there is a sense of urgency to find out what the operation entails and who is involved in it. I enjoyed the background theme of a phoenix operation, which the author managed to explore with subtlety. I thought it was an original and fascinating context.

Additionally, I liked that it is an espionage story with a touch of romance. The young and athletic protagonist dates 22-year-old Natalie Prescott but also gets romantically involved with Madison Farrell. Although he finds Natalie to be an attractive and loving woman, her religious parents see him as an unworthy partner for their daughter. On the other hand, as the successful and sophisticated Madison becomes his partner in the investigation, their romance blossoms.

Unfortunately, I felt that this love triangle could have been better explored by the author. As the story progressed, I thought that the female characters were increasingly stereotyped and often objectified. I wish the author had developed them a little more, especially Natalie. This lack of character development was what I disliked the most about the novel.

Lastly, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I am taking a star away because I felt that the female characters could have been better developed. Additionally, the book needs a round of professional editing; it has several grammatical, spelling, and formatting mistakes. Still, it is an entertaining novel, and I believe it will appeal to readers who enjoy criminal investigations.

The FIFO Phoenix
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Harty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty.html
Latest Review: Big Bunches At The Jam Factory by Keith.paulusse

Post by Harty »

I definitely would read this book because of the romance element. The fraud plot makes the book all the more compelling. Thanks for the nice review.
hasincla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hasincla.html
Latest Review: Fortune Cats with Full Tummies by Dave Hutchinson

Post by hasincla »

I like mixing a thrilling story with romance, but I also like female characters that aren't cliches. I also like when fraudsters get what's coming to them though, so I think I'll give this one a chance! Thank you for your review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

A thriller with an unusual setting is intriguing. Honestly the love triangle makes me dubious because it's the kind of element I really dislike. Thank you for your informative review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

OMG! Here's some real fascination suspense. And Lucas is having it with two belles? Some thriller spiced with romance and dipped in action. Lol
I'll love to read this book.

Thank you for a beautiful review.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

The cover is really misleading...LOL! I thought it was going to be your typical romance book, but I am delighted to see the elements of mystery and action as well as a touch of romance. Thanks for the enthralling review.
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Post by JKO »

This sounds like a book with a great plot. It has action as well as romance. Great book. Excellent review.
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

Harty wrote: 05 May 2020, 05:32 I definitely would read this book because of the romance element. The fraud plot makes the book all the more compelling. Thanks for the nice review.
Thank you for reading and commenting!
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

hasincla wrote: 05 May 2020, 08:18 I like mixing a thrilling story with romance, but I also like female characters that aren't cliches. I also like when fraudsters get what's coming to them though, so I think I'll give this one a chance! Thank you for your review.
Thank you for stopping by!
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

NetMassimo wrote: 05 May 2020, 08:28 A thriller with an unusual setting is intriguing. Honestly the love triangle makes me dubious because it's the kind of element I really dislike. Thank you for your informative review!
Well, you should probably steer clear of this one then. I appreciate your comments. Thanks!
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

Adanna Inya wrote: 05 May 2020, 09:50 OMG! Here's some real fascination suspense. And Lucas is having it with two belles? Some thriller spiced with romance and dipped in action. Lol
I'll love to read this book.

Thank you for a beautiful review.
Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate your comments.
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 05 May 2020, 15:20 The cover is really misleading...LOL! I thought it was going to be your typical romance book, but I am delighted to see the elements of mystery and action as well as a touch of romance. Thanks for the enthralling review.
The cover also intrigued me... :lol:
Thank you for reading and commenting. I appreciate it!
Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

The suspense filled atmosphere in the book is what will make me go for it. Thanks for a great review.
Dannyphery
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dannyphery.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Dannyphery »

Sounds like a nice book.
Would love to read it.
Thanks for the review

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”