Odd Thomas by dean koontz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kamikazie78
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Odd Thomas by dean koontz

Post by kamikazie78 »

I absolutely enjoyed the odd things series. I couldn't wait for the movie too bad it was awful
ratzille
Favorite Author: Roald Dahl
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ratzille.html
fav_author_id: 3429

Post by ratzille »

I am currently reading the last book in the series Odd Thomas, Saint Odd. I am halfway through and enjoying Odd's final adventure.

-- 28 Jan 2015, 21:30 --

I also watched the Odd Thomas movie on Netflix. I thought that it was very well done and they stayed true to the book.
highonbooks27
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by highonbooks27 »

I had never read anything by Koontz until a couple of years ago a friend in my book club insisted I read his Odd Thomas series. I truly loved the first book. It was very entertaining and had a twist at the end that I didn't see coming. I was not as excited by the remainder of the series, although I am glad I read each book. I find this to be no fault of Koontz's, I am just not particularly fond of series books. I much prefer stand alone titles, and I would totally recommend Odd Thomas to others, either as a stand alone, or as the beginning of a series.
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

I really enjoy the Odd Thomas series. I find them to be quite interesting. I also really enjoyed the movie on Netflix. It focuses on the first book in the series, I believe.
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
teel02
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teel02.html

Post by teel02 »

I liked all the Odd Thomas books. I have not read Saint Odd yet though. I do not want the character to die. I know that is silly, but I really think that is one Koontz character that is really likable.
moonbeam23
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moonbeam23.html

Post by moonbeam23 »

I love Odd Thomas. I find him a great character that I connected too. He is young but always seems to find and discover the worst people yet he still retains a great sense of humor and positive outlook on life. The plots follow Dean Koontz's usual complexity and creative imagination. I know the last book in the series is out now, but I'm having trouble bringing myself to read it. I don't want the series to end. The stories are dark and sometimes so is the humor but it's a different twist with a loveable character.
gorbe+

Post by gorbe+ »

I love Dean Koonts books. I read the Odd Thomas series a few years ago, and I am rereading it now. Odd Thomas is my favorite book in the series. I am a big Elvis fan so I enjoyed all the encounters that Odd Thomas had with Elvis. The writing is so clear that I can picture the places and people. I feel like I am right there with Odd Thomas.
dmoradi

Post by dmoradi »

Being a long time reader of Dean Koontz novels, Odd Thomas is one of his most loveable and identifiable characters. I have all of the Odd Thomas series in paperback save for the last. I was quite dismayed that there was a "last" as I truly enjoyed reading of his personality and adventures.
Odd's supporting cast of characters, such as Stormy, the sheriff, as well as more famous personalities that he "sees" like Frank Sinatra and Elvis add an additional dimension to the stories. In the future, if Odd is no longer the lead character, it would be very interesting if Dean Koontz developed some of the other characters, and spun the tales from the supporting characters perspective. He did touch on it somewhat when identifying Stormy and Odd's relationship, but there are a host of other characters he could choose from.
Overall, this is a great series and well worth reading.
Tamara1977

Post by Tamara1977 »

I LOVED all of the odd Thomas series. Odd is an extremely loveable character.
deer queen
Currently Reading: Odd Thomas
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deer-queen.html

Post by deer queen »

I just watched the movie then learned it was a book and immediately ordered it at the library! I just picked it up and haven't got to start it yet but I am so excited! My grandma loves Dean Koontz and had many books by him so I know I won't be disappointed.
Melissa Coffield
Favorite Author: Dean Koontz
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 15364">Odd Thomas</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-coffield.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 2595

Post by Melissa Coffield »

You won't be disappointed. Probably good that you watched the movie first because the books are a million times better. Now you can enjoy both.
Perseverance is impossible if we don't permit ourselves to hope.
Dean Koontz, Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1)
kderse
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kderse.html

Post by kderse »

Here is my review of the book from my blog:

Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz we in fact meet Odd Thomas who says that he doesn’t know why but the dead don’t talk. They do however try to communicate to him though. Sometimes they want justice. Others just want to help prevent future crimes. Then a stranger comes to town with horde of evil. Odd will race against the clock to try to save lives from this evil but will he do it in time?

I recommend this book to teenagers and adults.

For the first time in my entire life… I liked the movie better then the book. Yes I jaw dropper I know. Dean Koontz writing style is very different for me.

Odd is a very unique hero. Yes that really is his name. He is trying to do right by the dead and having fun along the way. One thing I loved about this series was the name of the town. Pico Mundo. Oh so Mexican sounding. Thank you Dean. Bad things seem to always be happening in this town. Much like in Buffy.

Two years later I am writing this review. I still remember this book clearly but one thing that hasn’t happened is me reading the sequels. My husband on the other hand owns every single one of them and has read them all. He is hooked. He is a fan.

As serious, and suspenseful, and scary, and intense and sad but this book is it is also funny. How could it not be funny when Elvis is helping Odd fight the evil invading his little town.

“In our dreams, we are not detached observers, as are the characters who dream in movies. These internal dramas are usually seen strictly from the dreamer’s point of view. In nightmares, we can’t look into our own eyes except by indirection, perhaps because we fear discovering that therein lie the worst monsters plaguing us.”

He has a way with words doesn’t he? I have to say when it comes to night mares its like he says they are the worst monsters plaguing me. Lately that being related to being robbed. I am slowly healing and the monsters are going away and I expect them to go away completely once I move back to the states. I know peoples houses are broken into in the states but at least we will have insurance and family if something like that happens again.

I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars.
Mike_Lang
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50592">The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid</a>
Currently Reading: Mississippi Noir
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mike-lang.html
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mike_Lang »

I read one of the books in the series - Odd Hours - without realizing that it was part of a series. Didn't care for it at all! It seemed to be more of a transition book with no clear beginning or ending, definitely not very good as a stand alone outside the series. I'm not a major fan of Mr. Koontz - like some of his work, some I don't - so have never made any effort to revisit that particular series.
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
TRomero0587
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tromero0587.html

Post by TRomero0587 »

I'm currently reading the Odd Thomas series and I'm really enjoying it. It had me hooked from book one and the storyline has kept me on the edge of my seat!
ShepherdDon
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shepherddon.html

Post by ShepherdDon »

Probably didn't enjoy Odd Thomas as much as some of the multitude of book by Dean Koontz. He's always able to provide suspense, however.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”