Review by bjoly2 -- Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bjoly2
Currently Reading: Never Eat Alone
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bjoly2.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Review by bjoly2 -- Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by bjoly2 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Devil in False Colors" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick is an action-packed read that addresses some highly polarizing topics like nuclear warfare and extremist religions. I am rating this book 4 out of 4 stars. The storyline is engaging, and it is apparent that Winnick knows his stuff when it comes to the Middle East.

This book is the third in a series, and, as someone who has not read the first two books, I found I was still able to pick up and engage with the storyline without the background knowledge from previous books. There were a few references throughout the story to character development during the preceding years. Still, I didn’t feel that an absence of that knowledge took away from my understanding of the current plot.

I am not overly familiar with Middle Eastern culture and enjoyed learning more about it. I had heard the words Sunni, Shia, sheikh, and Imam previously, but this book went in-depth about the relationships and dynamics within the Muslim culture. Winnick does an excellent job of pulling together many characters and plot lines. He introduces new players throughout the story and has a way of tying them all together at the end in a seamless way.

I also enjoyed the ever-evolving relationship between the book’s hero and heroine. The ongoing storyline of Uri and Lara was a breath of fresh air between violence and terrorist plots against the U.S. and Israel. I am admittedly a sucker for a strong female lead and felt that Lara was able to bring that element to the table in a very believable way. There were several strong female characters in the book, which was refreshing, as sometimes action novels can leave women out of the equation.

There was a significant amount of violence in this book, making it not for the faint of heart. Winnick showcased hatred between religious groups, which at times made me feel deeply saddened that there could be people who exist in that manner. This book would not be a suitable read for anyone incapable of reading about gun violence, religious extremists, or hatred against Jews and Americans. Even though this book is pure fiction, it felt at times like I could have been reading a news story on recent events.

Overall, this book is an entertaining read that makes you think deeply about the hatred of people in a time where terrorism and gun violence are at the forefront of many people’s minds.

Devil in False Colors
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”