Review by BocaTwist3319 -- The Freedom Building

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BocaTwist3319
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bocatwist3319.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Review by BocaTwist3319 -- The Freedom Building

Post by BocaTwist3319 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Freedom Building is written by Martin Kendall. It's a story of a modest architect named John Gowan who owns an architect firm named Gowan Partnership. He started the firm with his inheritance money that his deceased parents left for him. He also has a partner named Pete Williams, and together they run Gowan Partnership and are well-known locally. One day a very important building in his city of Blanworth was blown-up and it was suspected to be terrorist-related. This building, The Zenith Star Building, was located in the centre of Blanworth and brought a lot money into the city, very-high end, and now it laid in a pile of rubble and dust. John wanted to know who would be the next architect that Zenith would hire to build their new building, and he wanted the job desperately.

One night, John drove into the city and snuck up to the barricaded site of the fallen building. He decided to take measurements of the building, and as soon as he was done, he had a spark of inspiration for the next building design for the Zenith site. As he raced home, weaving and curving with the road, he missed a turn and had a bad crash. The crash was so bad that when he woke up, he woke up 3 years into the future and his building design was being slated for a ground breaking ceremony. Everyone was excited and congratulating him on his inspirational design, the people in the city of Blanworth nicknamed the building, The Freedom Building and couldn't wait to see this representation of their freedom vs. terrorism rise out of their city. The only problem is that John has no recollection of designing the building, and this where the story begins. The back and forth of "Did I/Didn't I?" and who may find out his secret that he suffers from amnesia.

I rated The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall a 4 out of 4. I enjoyed this read because it kept me engaged and wanting to find out if this was a dream, or did he really wake up 3 years later after his car crash and this was really his life. I often found myself wondering if John was going to wake up from his dream with the inspiration for the design in his mind and bring it to life. The story continued with some dark twists and turns about John figuring out who he is, and what are his beliefs about life in general, his life especially. He questions his views about the world, his family relationship and who are his true friends. Either way, people always have to take a look at themselves before they can help the next person or society.

What I liked most about The Freedom Building was that it was a story of a city being attacked, something like 9/11, and they chose to rebuild a greater building that would represent the new times and the old meaning of being free. But, in the mist of uniting the city of Blanworth, the politics and capitalism crossed-over and tainted the message the building was really meant to represent. We see this a lot in our current societies problems and this problem hasn't been fixed yet. Hopefully, one day the people in power will realize that they need to work together with the little guys in order to prosper and grow as a society, instead of stepping on their necks all the time.

I did not find anything to dislike about this book. It was an interesting read and a fun tug on the imagination. It was written clearly and easy to read and understand. The story was well-related to the politics that have been around for a long time, practices where artists have their creative rights tainted or stolen from them, but we can't let ourselves become broken or tainted because then the "Powers that Be" win in the end, and we don't want that. We want the artists to learn from their experiences and win in the end.

I think readers who are in tune with today's politics and know how unfair a person can be treated because of their differences in beliefs or feelings will sympathize with John's plight and root for him to be the hero in this story.

The Freedom Building
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”