Review by Leen282 -- Hallowed Ground by Cindy Ziperman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leen282
2021 Reading Goal: 26
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Review by Leen282 -- Hallowed Ground by Cindy Ziperman

Post by Leen282 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Hallowed Ground" by Cindy Ziperman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hallowed Ground by Cindy Ziperman talks about the dispute between a commercial development company and a historical preservation society. The development company wants to buy up plots of land to build a mall, whereas the historical preservation society wants to preserve this land. The plots under discussion were the scenery of several important battles during the Civil War.

Samantha, or Sam as she prefers, becomes entangled in this discussion when she moves to her uncle's farm in Franklin, Tennessee. She lost her job as a nurse at a hospital after an incident and wants to start again in a spot surrounded by plenty of happy childhood memories, living with her loving uncle and aunt. Her uncle’s farmland is one of the plots at stake, and her uncle does not want to sell to the development company. Sam wholeheartedly agrees with this and steps up to help her uncle protect his farm from being bought away from him. During all this, Sam gets emotionally and romantically involved with one of the protagonists, despite her strong ideas that she cannot have a meaningful relationship with a man.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I like the pace of the book, the style of writing, the dialogues. From the start, you’re in the story knowing the different personages and their beliefs with regards to the mall development. For the most part, the book invites to immediately start the next chapter after finishing one. The book gives some historical background information on the Civil War. I would have liked to have had more details on this, to learn more about a major piece of US history. The book also has some funny lines (such as ‘Rome wasn’t destroyed in a day’) which made me chuckle.

I was a bit disappointed with the number of chapters dedicated to romance. Where it is quite obvious from the start that Sam will have a romance, it becomes the major if not the only topic in the middle part of the book. For me, this was a bit overkill and it slowed the pace of the book. I would have preferred to read more about the historical background of the Civil War, the actual dispute and the actions of the stakeholders, the reasons why certain people take surprising decisions.

I do recommend this book to others, it is entertaining, a good way to pass a few enjoyable hours.

Hallowed Ground
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Post by JKO »

I would love to see the insights this book gives to the civil war. This is a well-articulated review. Thanks.
Leen282
2021 Reading Goal: 26
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

JKO wrote: 03 May 2020, 13:14 I would love to see the insights this book gives to the civil war. This is a well-articulated review. Thanks.
Thanks
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Perfect by Judi Miller

Post by Prisallen »

It sounds interesting and definitely something that romance lovers will enjoy. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Latest Review: Perfect by Judi Miller

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”