Official Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Washboard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Official Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Post by Washboard »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Sunken Forest" by R. Barber Anderson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Russell Hoyt, a researcher for a timber company, goes missing with his crew while investigating a mysterious rainforest in Africa. His colleague and friend, Carver Hayden, is tasked with finding a tracker that can help find Hoyt and gather as much information about the forest as possible. Through mutual contacts, Carver recruits Zora de Rycken to aid him in this rescue mission. Zora’s military background, previous missions in Africa, and phenomenal linguistic abilities make her the perfect guide. Zora and Carver aren’t the only ones heading into this forbidden and foreboding forest, as the rumor of a rare black lion has attracted the attention of a multi-billionaire trophy hunter, Olegushka Levkov, and a few of his friends. Can Zora keep Carver safe as they search for Hoyt, surrounded by the dangers of the forest and their unsavory and unintentional travel companions?

I must admit, I am willing to try any book that boasts a strong female protagonist and an earth-friendly message. I am so glad that this book, The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson, caught my eye! I thoroughly enjoyed reading this exciting adventure story, became attached to the characters, and genuinely hated the deplorable antagonists. I especially enjoyed the descriptive writing and the obvious research and first-hand experience that the author utilized to give this story a strong foundation based on reality.

My main criticism about the storyline is it seems to be a bit formulaic in following common tropes seen in action movies. Without giving anything away, the main protagonist of the story, Zora, is exceptional at everything that she does, including being better at navigating the landscape than the locals who inhabit it. Predictably, the only indigenous character, Ngiome, is coerced into being a guide, but does have significant character development and is a major component of the story, which is more than can be said for similar stories. The author also includes a note at the end of the book explaining his research in creating his indigenous characters, which is significantly more effort than I have seen from most other authors to obtain accuracy without being members of the community themselves.

Unfortunately, this book does not seem to have been professionally edited. Most of the errors are barely noticeable, such as a misplaced quotation mark or other punctuation mistakes. However, some errors interrupted the flow of the sentence and confused its meaning, such as using the word "tale" instead of "tail".

The exciting storyline and descriptive writing make this an excellent read, except for it relying on some common tropes and needing professional editing. All in all, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Adults who enjoy action books with strong female protagonists will love this one, but I cannot recommend it to younger audiences due to some of the content. Those who are sensitive to violence, torture, rape, substance abuse, and strong language, including derogatory slurs, should avoid this one.

The Sunken Forest
View: on Bookshelves
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.

Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

I do not like action books. However, I am impressed by the female protagonist. I will recommend to friends I know will like.

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: The Power of Small Habits
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Purple Hearted Man by Jack W. McDaniel

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems an interesting adventure novel, even if the author used some cliches. The plot development seems quite full of brutality, though I hope they make sense for the story. Thank you for your informative review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Salma_asa
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: Meryl Streep: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.

Post by Salma_asa »

The plot sounds really engaging. I may read this book as soon as I get a chance. Plus, I like the fact that the protagonist is a female. Great review!

ivana7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana7.html
Latest Review: The Apathetical Man by Gregory Martin McLeod

Post by ivana7 »

Although the book seems interesting especially because of the multitude of action, I do not believe I would personally enjoy reading it because of the triggering content.
Thank you for great review!

FEislandqueen13
2019 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading: The Girl in the Yellow Scarf
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feislandqueen13.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by FEislandqueen13 »

guess I'll be avoiding this book but your review was amazing.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Homecoming
Bookshelf Size: 348
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: No One Has More Love Than This... by Warren Robinson

Post by kdstrack »

I like the author's creativity in imagining such an intriguing story line. It is also refreshing to read about the research done for the indigenous character included in the story. This looks interesting. Thanks for the recommendation!

Washboard
Currently Reading:

Post by Washboard »

Cynthia_Oluchi wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 21:41
I do not like action books. However, I am impressed by the female protagonist. I will recommend to friends I know will like.
I hope they enjoy it as much as I did!
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.

Washboard
Currently Reading:

Post by Washboard »

NetMassimo wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 08:01
This seems an interesting adventure novel, even if the author used some cliches. The plot development seems quite full of brutality, though I hope they make sense for the story. Thank you for your informative review!
I think the brutality could have been reduced, but I think the author wanted to clearly demonstrate how terrible some of the characters were with it. I hope you enjoy the book!

Washboard
Currently Reading:

Post by Washboard »

Salma_asa wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 11:35
The plot sounds really engaging. I may read this book as soon as I get a chance. Plus, I like the fact that the protagonist is a female. Great review!
I always enjoy books with female protagonists! I hope you like the book when you get the chance to read it!

Washboard
Currently Reading:

Post by Washboard »

ivana7 wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 03:36
Although the book seems interesting especially because of the multitude of action, I do not believe I would personally enjoy reading it because of the triggering content.
Thank you for great review!
Some of the content is very triggering, which is why I thought it was important to mention it. Thanks for commenting!

Washboard
Currently Reading:

Post by Washboard »

FEislandqueen13 wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 09:35
guess I'll be avoiding this book but your review was amazing.
I figured it was important to mention the triggering content so no one stumbled upon it unexpectedly. Thanks for commenting!

Washboard
Currently Reading:

Post by Washboard »

kdstrack wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 15:35
I like the author's creativity in imagining such an intriguing story line. It is also refreshing to read about the research done for the indigenous character included in the story. This looks interesting. Thanks for the recommendation!
I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did!

Salma_asa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: Meryl Streep: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.

Post by Salma_asa »

Washboard wrote:
29 Mar 2020, 01:11
Salma_asa wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 11:35
I always enjoy books with female protagonists! I hope you like the book when you get the chance to read it!
I hope I will enjoy my reading.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”