Review by ConnorOneill -- Duplicity by Fin C Gray

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ConnorOneill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-connoroneill.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Review by ConnorOneill -- Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by ConnorOneill »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Duplicity" by Fin C Gray.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Duplicity by Fin C. Gray is most accurately classified as a book in the C/T/M/H genre, as it has elements of violence and terrorism. It is a dark book, full of very difficult emotions. It relays these emotions very effectively.

The book starts off from the perspective of a suicide bomber. Almost immediately, the book skips to the suicide bomber's childhood. Throughout the book, it switches between the perspectives of the bomber and his father at different points in their lives. The book explores the trauma that leads the boy to where he is in the opening pages, and his father's misfortunes in his own life.

The choice to start the book from a suicide bomber's perspective is a very interesting and bold decision, maybe a little controversial even. It gives the book a strong and memorable start. Skipping to different points in the two main character's lives may be meant to emphasize the more important or influential bits, or maybe to keep the reader engaged and understanding the story line. If that was the intent, it was effective. The book takes an analytical and existential perspective on the character's predicaments, as well as life in general.

The first profanity I discovered was on page 32. There was quite a bit of profanity later in the story. This profanity, however, was consistently well placed and provided emphasis on the depth of emotions, rather than being unnecessary, inappropriate, or vulgar. There were also a few borderline erotic parts, as well as one section that struck me as particularly descriptive, and perhaps a little disturbing. There was a part that could be seen as child abuse, and while I can see how it could possibly be upsetting, it is also a somewhat important part in the story, possibly adding some essential character development. I would recommend caution reading to those sensitive about profanity, erotic scenes, and possible sexual abuse. It may also be wise for the author to add in a word of caution at the beginning of the book. I found exactly one possible typo, on page 217. "It is was as though..." It seemed very well edited other than that one instance.

I rate this book four out of four stars. I enjoyed it immensely, it is a very memorable and powerful book that explores a wide range of difficult emotions. It kept me engaged the whole time, even though it is a rather long and eventful book. It only took me around a day or two to get through it because the book was immersive and engaging. I was able to relate to the characters while actively disliking them. I have never read a book that made me feel like this before, I would highly recommend it to others.

Duplicity
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”