Official Review: Jonas by Julia Ferrard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 72
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 50
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Book: Unbalanced
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 594
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Astral Planes by Trevellyn Head

Official Review: Jonas by Julia Ferrard

Post by Rosemary Wright »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jonas" by Julia Ferrard.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jonas, by Julia Ferrard, follows the adventures of Jonas, a famous magician, and the activities of a fairground in an Austrian town, where he performed. His father was a renowned magician as well. Employing other gifted and unusual entertainers such as a fakir, a fire-eater, a clown and so on, the fairground was a place of great fun for its audience. However, the fairground took a new turn when its staff started passing away in mysterious ways, and one or other of the staff was being accused. Who could be responsible for the crime? Was it really a staff at the fairground or someone outside? What could be their motive?

Consisting of 304 pages, this crime, mystery and thriller novel is engaging. Though it has a somewhat straightforward plot, it’s captivating. It includes a lot of funny dialogues, which make the story interesting. In addition, the author provides backstories, which she adds regularly to relate the past to the present, and comprising several quotes from the Bible, it’s an entertaining read, though the end is a bit obscure.

Nonetheless, I think the book would have been more appealing if the author had shown more of the story instead of telling more, which makes the plot seem kind of underdeveloped. Concerning editing, the novel wasn’t well edited; there are a lot of grammatical and typographical errors like “Jonas didnìt reply” and “she didn’t believe in that it would be the the her One.” Again, the text should be divided into more paragraphs to ease reading. Julia refers to Jonas’ mother as “the daft woman” throughout the story. That's unnecessary, and it could be annoying to some female readers.

All the characters are very intriguing. They are complex and weird. The author provides enough details about them, which make them relatable. Furthermore, while there are no explicit sex scenes, there are some provocative narratives, and regarding profanity, there are some immodest words here and there. Included also are some German words, but the author gives their meanings at the end of the book. The novel contains narratives involving snakes and some gruesome scenes. Hence, if you don’t like reading books with such features, I advise you to steer clear of this one.

Overall, I rate Jonas 2 out of 4 stars. I didn’t rate it lower because it’s entertaining, and I couldn’t rate it higher because of the above flaws, especially the grammar errors and typos. It should be sent for another round of editing. I recommend it to fans of psychological thriller books.

Jonas
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Miller56 »

This book sounds like it is an entertaining mystery. I would enjoy this book. I think I will wait for it to go through another round of editing though before I read it. Poor grammar and numerous typos take away from the book. Thanks for the review.

kmittag67
Favorite Author: Jim Butcher
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmittag67.html
Latest Review: Intwine by Christina Moss
fav_author_id: 2907

Post by kmittag67 »

This book definitely sounds interesting but your mention of snakes and gruesome scenes does not appeal to me. I am not a fan of snakes of any kind. I appreciate your in-depth review. I think I will pass on this book.

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Liege-Killer
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Peter Street:Treasure by Philip Sparrowhawk

Post by NetMassimo »

Despite the flaws you pointed out, this seems an enjoyable novel. Probably a good editor would have made it better. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Decision At Fletcher's Mill by David Caringer

Post by That Reviewer »

This is a case of entertainment gone wrong. Very captivating storyline.

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: The Last Merry Go Round by C.L. Charlesworth

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

While the premise sounds exciting, the poor grammar and the "daft woman" comment irks me. I think I will pass on this one, but thanks for the honest review!

Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: A Murder is Announced
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 221
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: If These Stones Could Talk by Elaine Buck and Beverly Mills
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

At least you found joy in reading it. To be honest, it sounds quite fun and I do like novels that take place on fairgrounds. It's a shame about the editing though. This particular brand of error makes it a pass for me.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

Snake scenes? A big no for me. Thanks for the honest review.

WizzyGlory
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by WizzyGlory »

From the review, the book features as an interesting read for someone like me who can accommodate all forms of characters painted in a book. Once re-efited, I may eventually search it out for my reading pleasure.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”