Official Review: Tropical Deception by David Myles Robinson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Official Review: Tropical Deception by David Myles Robinson

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tropical Deception" by David Myles Robinson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

With approximately $200 million devoted to a real estate development plan in Kauai, the investment partners have a lot to lose if Peter Roosevelt succeeds in stopping the project for the preservation of Hawaii’s rich and exotic environment. When Roosevelt is found dead in his home, suspicions arise. The state is convinced this is an open and shut case: the evidence points to the jealous act of a neighbor.

Honolulu’s top criminal defense attorney, Pancho McMartin, has his work cut out proving Wayson Takei’s innocence. Even after discovering suspicious activity among the investors of the Kauai project, evidence strongly suggests that Takei is guilty: his gun is the murder weapon, and he has no alibi to clear his name. Lies and deception plague the proceedings, and Pancho and his team are running out of time to save their client from life in prison.

Tropical Deception is the latest Pancho McMartin legal thriller by David Myles Robinson. This fourth novel featuring the title character can be read as a standalone and is divided into 64 short chapters that keep the book moving along at a steady pace. The book is primarily written from Pancho’s first-person POV, while the remaining chapters switch to the third-person POV.

The author, being a graduate of law school and former native of Hawaii, clearly uses his experience as a law practitioner to keep the case realistic and the dialogue lightly-sprinkled with Hawaiian vocabulary and locales. Robinson also keeps the legal jargon realistic, yet easy to understand as the case proceeds and evidence is gathered. I enjoyed being able to jump right into the book with the helpful character bios and recaps incorporated into the early chapters. From there, we continue right into Pancho’s current case, which flows smoothly through Robinson’s captivating writing.

I loved the parallel plot lines that followed Pancho’s progress on the case and the background movements of the suspicious characters. The author would show us an exciting development on Pancho’s end and then would show the next move from the characters that had something to hide. In this manner, the book remained full of suspense as the evidence began to stack up, while substantial proof remained just out of reach.

The suspense built significantly as the case was presented to the jury. The recap of the gathered information was helpful but a bit tedious because it included a full line-by-line reiteration of the interviews that had been conducted earlier throughout the book. I was also disappointed with how rapidly the end came about after a suspenseful buildup. There was a conclusive ending, and loose ends were tied up, but they felt shallow and underdeveloped compared to the rest of the book.

For these reasons, I decided to give the book a 3 out of 4. I would gladly raise the rating to a full four stars if the ending had not felt so abrupt and had been fully developed. Still, I believe the book would be an excellent read for those who enjoy legal thrillers. The book does contain non-borderline swearing and low-erotic sex and allusions, which makes it a good read for an adult audience, but may not be a good fit for younger or sensitive readers. The book is well-edited, and I found very few errors.

Tropical Deception
View: on Bookshelves
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

Peter's case is believable thanks to David's experience as a law practitioner.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I wonder who actually killed Roosevelt? I don't think it is as clear cut as it seems. The murderer planned it well and set Takei up! All that's left is for me to read the book and prove my theory :D :D :D . Great review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by shreyagupta »

Thriller with legal insights sounds like an interesting read. Thanks for the review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems a great novel for fans of legal thrillers who can appreciate the technicalities, even when they're repeated. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Kevivas03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kevivas03.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Kevivas03 »

Stand alones are my cup of tea. You review reads like a movie, I can picture the whole plot. Good job!
Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Inspirations by Colleen by Colleen Bruce

Post by Joan642 »

It's hard to prove one's innocence when all evidence shows otherwise. I would love to find out what happens next. Thanks for the review.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I enjoy the level of suspense and intrigue that surrounds this story. It also helps that the author understands the world of law--and can speak the lingo. Thanks for the thought-provoking review.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

A great, descriptive review, thanks! The large amount or short chapters, reminds me of the James Paterson's books, that are always easy to read so this might be the same case.
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

I’m a big fan of crime novels and this review is very descriptive so thanks for a well written review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”