Official Review: The Man in the Corner by Jerry a wilkinson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: El nido del cuco
Bookshelf Size: 2346
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: The Scaevola Conspiracy by Timo Bozsolik-Torres
fav_author_id: 5604

Official Review: The Man in the Corner by Jerry a wilkinson

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Man in the Corner" by Jerry a wilkinson.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

John Preston has been institutionalized almost his whole life in Wilshire Manor, a luxury facility for high-society families to entrust their mentally ill relatives. There, he sits on a corner by the pond, and he tells riveting stories to select lucky patients and staff members. In his engrossing tales, he’s a cowboy, a detective, a WWII soldier, a conman, a Nazi hunter, the world’s greatest magician, and an unbeatable assassin, among many other legendary and adventurous personas. How can he know all of these detailed stories if he’s never left Wilshire Manor’s lands? Is this talented storyteller hiding something or does he just have an outstanding imagination?

The Man in the Corner by Jerry A. Wilkinson is, of course, the story of John, but also many stories more that, in the tradition of “One Thousand and One Nights”, offer something for every reader.

The stories are mostly adventurous and, all of them, male-centered and with larger-than-life characters. However, in their core, even if one cannot easily relate to, say, a medical cancer-curing genius, all the characters deal with struggles and experiences that are common to every human, such as unrequited love, greed, loyalty or forgiveness, My favorite story is the one of Conrad Kostrinsky, which main topic is redemption. I was, however, left craving a story with more approachable characters and a more relatable plot.

The book is very descriptive and well researched, diving deeply in the different lives of John Preston. The fact that these characters have unusual occupations and live very peculiar experiences makes of this a double-edged sword. If the particular story interests the reader, he might find such a detailed account fascinating but, otherwise, so many specifics can become tiresome. I found myself in this situation once or twice when dealing with extremely detailed accounts of the caring of cattle, for example.

My favorite aspect of the novel is how incredibly varied the topics and plots are. There are, however, several areas of improvement in the text. First, female characters are either absent or always in minor roles. This makes for a skewed and awkward narrative at times, and partly because of this, I found it hard to get invested in some stories. Second, I would’ve liked to know more about John and his backstory although, because of the ending, I’m optimistic the author will explore this area in a further novel. The topic of mental illness is also left unexplored, which is unfortunate and strange because the story takes place in a mental care facility. Finally, the book has an outstanding number of mistakes and typos. They’re all minor, such as missing commas or quotation marks, but they can become annoying due to the number.

The novel contains several instances of profanity and racial slurs, as well as some gruesome depictions of violence that might upset some readers. The erotic content is never explicit, though.

I rate The Man in the Corner by Jerry A. Wilkinson 2 out of 4 stars because of the lack of relatable characters, the huge amount of mistakes and the several underdeveloped areas I mentioned.

I would recommend this novel to anyone who enjoys adventures and plots so fabulous that border in the unbelievable. If you liked the movie Forest Gump this book has a similar vibe and you might enjoy it. People interested in thought-provoking questions and aspects of the human struggle and psyche will be delighted with most of the stories. Readers that are bothered by non-cohesive or non-linear narratives, as well as those who enjoy fantasy or romance, wouldn’t enjoy this book so much.

The Man in the Corner
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Shabram22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shabram22.html
Latest Review: Breaking the Chain by Patricia Rossi

Post by Shabram22 »

It's a shame that there are too many mistakes in the book. I hope the author has the book edited to get a better score. Overall, it sounds like some fun stories.
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html

Shabram22 wrote: 23 Feb 2020, 11:26 It's a shame that there are too many mistakes in the book. I hope the author has the book edited to get a better score. Overall, it sounds like some fun stories.
I hope so, too. Thanks for stopping by!
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

I think John has a secret. I love these kind of stories. Great review.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed your description of John's stories but would be bored with the cattle care section, too. The suggestions about things to improve on were excellent! Thanks for your insightful review.
ParadoxicalWoman
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 579
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paradoxicalwoman.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by ParadoxicalWoman »

Who knows maybe the stories that John shared to selected people are his own experiences. This seems interesting though.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Susmita Biswas wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 11:27 I think John has a secret. I love these kind of stories. Great review.
Oh, yes! The sequel will be very interesting when his secret gets out. Thanks for stopping by!

kdstrack wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 17:31 I enjoyed your description of John's stories but would be bored with the cattle care section, too. The suggestions about things to improve on were excellent! Thanks for your insightful review.
LOL :D , not all the topics are for everyone. Thankfully, each story is different. Thank you for your kind words.

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 04:13 Who knows maybe the stories that John shared to selected people are his own experiences. This seems interesting though.
I think they are but we will have to wait for the sequel. Thanks for stopping by!
InStoree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

I would assume John is seeing his previous lives. Hopefully, I'll be surprised? 😁 Despite the low score given, I think this book explores an interesting topic. Mental illness causes significant distress but it also seems to open a door to a whole new, vast world. Thank you for your impressive recommendation!
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem

InStoree wrote: 29 Feb 2020, 00:46 I would assume John is seeing his previous lives. Hopefully, I'll be surprised? 😁 Despite the low score given, I think this book explores an interesting topic. Mental illness causes significant distress but it also seems to open a door to a whole new, vast world. Thank you for your impressive recommendation!
That's actually a very interesting theory! It would be awesome if there were his past lives. And I agree, I think the possibilities of neurodiversity have not been explored enough. I don't deny that mental illness implies a lot of suffering but it also seems to, sometimes, broaden the way people see the world and think.
Thank you so much for your thought-provoking comment!
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

Even with all the errors and underdeveloped areas, this seems like a book that would interest me. I am however a bit hesitant regarding the backstory of John. What type of mental illness does he have? What treatments has he had? All of these questions will need to be answered. Thank you for another marvelous review.

Ronel_Steyn wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 07:56 Even with all the errors and underdeveloped areas, this seems like a book that would interest me. I am however a bit hesitant regarding the backstory of John. What type of mental illness does he have? What treatments has he had? All of these questions will need to be answered. Thank you for another marvelous review.
I was left with these doubts too. It's flabbergasting that a book with a mentally ill (and institutionalized) main character, never addresses this. I hope it is solved in a sequel.
Thanks for stopping by!
OfficialEmma
Currently Reading: The Shattered Vase
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-officialemma.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by OfficialEmma »

This book has a very promising plot. John Preston is a kind of character I like to read about. Pity about the rating due to the flaws. I enjoyed your detailed and insightful review.
If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, do things worth writing about or write things worth reading about.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Lol! Deep details about raising cattle?! I get what you mean! The other issues you raise are equally valid. I hope the author takes note. All the same, the narration seems talented in diverse fields.

Great review as usual!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”

Automatic Ads by Google