Official Review: Dream Prophecy by Known as Lise

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 330
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Kyle and The Key by Pam Dabon

Official Review: Dream Prophecy by Known as Lise

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dream Prophecy" by Known as Lise.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There's an ancient prophecy. Six pillars will fall and then evil will prevail. The third fell years ago; at which point, it seemed the prophecy was put on hold. Now, the fourth pillar has fallen, and it's about to get ugly fast.

Jaden and Jared's job is to protect the world against evil. They are Guardians and deal with demons, vampires, werewolves, and the like. The prophecy concerns them, as they somehow have a part in it. But, what's their role exactly? Who are the fifth and sixth pillars? Will they be able to stop evil from taking over?

Dream Prophecy by Known as Lise is a science fiction story. It's a classic good versus evil storyline, yet it was interesting enough to keep me involved. The profanity was prevalent, there was an abundance of violence, and, with mature themes, the book wouldn't be suitable for a younger crowd.

The book was action-packed from start to finish. The author draws you in right away, with the excitement beginning immediately. The ancient prophecy was mysterious and enigmatic, as it should be. This is the first in a series, and, as such, it has a cliffhanger ending. In fact, the plot is just getting to the apex when it ends, which is a bit of a let down.

Jaden tells us much of the story from her perspective in the first person, but there are scenes that are narrated in the third person as well. Mostly, the switch was easy to notice, and it was interesting to be able to appreciate the story from multiple angles. Jaden is a strong woman who's very likeable; she seems younger than the mid-twenties the author gave as her age, though.

Speaking of immaturity, the writing itself was juvenile. The descriptions were lackluster and could have been more vivid. The characters didn't develop; they didn't grow. The story would be great as a young adult novel, and the characters would have made perfect teenagers. If the book had less profanity, I would recommend it for high schoolers.

The last issue worth mentioning was the lack of editing. Tenses were incorrect, there were extra words, and the wrong words were used. Also, the perspective changes in the middle of a sentence. Jaden is telling us her story, and she switches from "I" to "she." The author tends to repeat words within a sentence as well. Here's an example. "...the dusted remains to the hellhound from laid on the cement in a dusted pile."

To summarize, the book is interesting, but it would have been better as a young adult novel. It, also, needed much more editing. I, therefore, give Dream Prophecy 2 out of 4 stars. With better editing, it might've ranked higher, but the story was only mediocre. I recommend it to those that enjoy a supernatural story without much depth.

Dream Prophecy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Amy747
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy747.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Amy747 »

The idea sounded good but its a shame there were so many issues with the writing.

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Amy747 wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 01:21
The idea sounded good but its a shame there were so many issues with the writing.
Yes, but I'm convinced it can be fixed. That's the good news. Thanks for commenting.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

bookowlie
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: Open Season
Bookshelf Size: 369
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for another well-written, insightful review. I don't care for cliffhanger endings so I am going to take a pass on this one. Even if a book is part of a series, that doesn't mean readers will want to read every book in the series. There should be closure for the main plot! It's too bad about the poor editing.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

espo
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 405
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espo.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by espo »

I completely understand your concerns about the book. It’s a bummer that the character development didn’t match the excellent action that the author seems to have packed the book with. Thank you for your insightful review!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

bookowlie wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 12:01
Thanks for another well-written, insightful review. I don't care for cliffhanger endings so I am going to take a pass on this one. Even if a book is part of a series, that doesn't mean readers will want to read every book in the series. There should be closure for the main plot! It's too bad about the poor editing.
I agree. Some of the best books I've read are part of a series but still give you closure. The author is able to hint at things to come while still wrapping the plot of the first book up. Thanks.
-Louisa May Alcott

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

espo wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 15:23
I completely understand your concerns about the book. It’s a bummer that the character development didn’t match the excellent action that the author seems to have packed the book with. Thank you for your insightful review!
Yes. It is. It has potential, but it needs more reworking. Thanks!
-Louisa May Alcott

Julius_
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Gaza
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

A prophecy about the fall of Pilars, that results into evil. That sounds horrific! I would like to read and see what happens after the sixth pillar has fallen. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.

Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Wyland »

A classic good vs evil tale would be captivating and plus the plot line involving the prophecy of six pillars is intriguing. Thanks for the wonderful review.

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Julius_ wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 21:51
A prophecy about the fall of Pilars, that results into evil. That sounds horrific! I would like to read and see what happens after the sixth pillar has fallen. Thanks for the review.
To find that out, you might actually have to read the entire series. Thanks!
-Louisa May Alcott

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Wyland wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 06:19
A classic good vs evil tale would be captivating and plus the plot line involving the prophecy of six pillars is intriguing. Thanks for the wonderful review.
It was interesting. I do hope good wins! Thanks.
-Louisa May Alcott

Nkoo
Currently Reading: The Blue Sea Monster
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Nkoo »

This science fiction novel sounds intriguing and captivating, from your well-thought-out review. Its themes and storyline also sound engaging. Not for the faint-hearted either. I would enjoy reading it. Thanks!

AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited

Post by AntonelaMaria »

There are so many books out there so better to skip this one. Thank you for your review. Sci-fi/fantasy is never a genre where I would appreciate juvenile writing. I hope your next read is amazing.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Nkoo wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 14:55
This science fiction novel sounds intriguing and captivating, from your well-thought-out review. Its themes and storyline also sound engaging. Not for the faint-hearted either. I would enjoy reading it. Thanks!
It was engaging. It just needed to be a bit more refined. Thanks.
-Louisa May Alcott

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

AntonelaMaria wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 15:04
There are so many books out there so better to skip this one. Thank you for your review. Sci-fi/fantasy is never a genre where I would appreciate juvenile writing. I hope your next read is amazing.
I understand. There are a lot of good versus evil books out there, so each must be well done to want to read it. Thanks.
-Louisa May Alcott

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”