Official Review: Catalyst by Ian Kent

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
spencermack
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 112
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Catalyst by Ian Kent
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Catalyst by Ian Kent

Post by spencermack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Catalyst" by Ian Kent.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Catalyst by Ian Kent is a high paced geopolitical thriller. With the main character Jake Prescott leading the charge, a band of intelligent scientists are on the hunt for justice when innocent lives are stolen in Los Angeles. Is it an accident or a precise attack during an environmental conference?

Throughout Catalyst, Ian Kent introduces the audience to many geopolitical controversies and situations. Kent does not shy away from discussing climate change. The main character is a leading member of environmental studies and holds an abundance of knowledge in the field. The reader can learn a lot about what people are trying to do within cities such as Los Angeles and Vancouver to help control pollution and climate change. These are everyday pressing issues that can help the audience connect deeply with the story. I find a book even more tantalizing when the author can weave education into a thrilling plot.

I am impressed with the elements that Kent weaves into the plot. However, there are times when I wanted the characters to move faster and take action, but they didn't. Many times I wish Kent would show us the action rather than summarize the encounter. During one section of the book, a character is interrogated by multiple government agencies. However, the audience is simply told about this encounter. I believe that the author missed an opportunity to entice the audience with an intense interrogation scene. With some small edits and focus on the audience’s perspective, I think the author could adjust his writing strategy to make these parts of the story more exciting.

The characters in this story are fantastic. Jake Prescott is a brilliant protagonist and is motivated by justice and love. He is intelligent and thoughtful in his words and actions. Jake is a character that you love to cheer for as he goes through his trials and tribulations. He reconnects with loved ones from a previous life, and this leads to many twists and turns. Introducing characters from Jake’s past invites a deep and rich history that the author draws upon throughout the storyline to intice excitement and create character motivation. The characters are realistic and all carry their own unique traits, making it easy to decipher who is who.

I am rating Catalyst by Ian Kent 3 out of 4 stars. I think the author missed some areas to add excitement and intrigue to the reader. Also, I found minor grammatical and spelling mistakes. Catalyst is an excellent book for people who enjoy geopolitical thrillers with a touch of romance.

Catalyst
View: on Bookshelves
Spencer Mack

Jachike Samuelson
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 91
Currently Reading: Of Zots & Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jachike-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: What's Heartfulness? by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Jachike Samuelson »

Details are my best part any story or movie. So I get your disappointment about the places where the author just mentions certain events instead of describing them in detail. It would certainly have added to the grip of the story. Still, you gave it a 3 out of 4 stars, so I guess it's still worth a read. Plus, I'd like to see how romance was successfully fully woven into this plot.

Everydayadventure15
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 72
Favorite Book: Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1)
Currently Reading: House of Eire
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-everydayadventure15.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Everydayadventure15 »

Great review! It sounds like the well-developed characters saved the book. I’ve noticed quite a few books are focused on climate issues lately and this sounds like another interesting one.

derialist
2019 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Containment Breach by Wm. A. Yandell

Post by derialist »

I can only guess how the title fits with the overall narrative. I think the book cover is quite telling and I'm intrigued enough to want to read it.

Y0landa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-y0landa.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Y0landa »

Today's issues in a well-written novel. Sounds like a great book to read and to debate about afterwards as a theme for discussion. Thanks for the great review!

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Prisallen »

I agree with you in that I love it when I learn things in a book while I'm being entertained at the same time. This sounds like an intriguing book, although a little too much "telling" instead of "showing." Thanks for the interesting and informative review!

spencermack
Currently Reading:

Post by spencermack »

Jachike Samuelson wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 06:47
Details are my best part any story or movie. So I get your disappointment about the places where the author just mentions certain events instead of describing them in detail. It would certainly have added to the grip of the story. Still, you gave it a 3 out of 4 stars, so I guess it's still worth a read. Plus, I'd like to see how romance was successfully fully woven into this plot.
Worth a read, could use some more though. Thanks for commenting!
Spencer Mack

spencermack
Currently Reading:

Post by spencermack »

Everydayadventure15 wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 09:46
Great review! It sounds like the well-developed characters saved the book. I’ve noticed quite a few books are focused on climate issues lately and this sounds like another interesting one.
Very interesting! Thanks for commenting!
Spencer Mack

spencermack
Currently Reading:

Post by spencermack »

derialist wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 10:30
I can only guess how the title fits with the overall narrative. I think the book cover is quite telling and I'm intrigued enough to want to read it.

I'm glad! Thanks for commenting!
Spencer Mack

spencermack
Currently Reading:

Post by spencermack »

Y0landa wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 19:59
Today's issues in a well-written novel. Sounds like a great book to read and to debate about afterwards as a theme for discussion. Thanks for the great review!
Thanks for the great comment!
Spencer Mack

spencermack
Currently Reading:

Post by spencermack »

Prisallen wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 08:45
I agree with you in that I love it when I learn things in a book while I'm being entertained at the same time. This sounds like an intriguing book, although a little too much "telling" instead of "showing." Thanks for the interesting and informative review!
Most certainly too much telling! Thanks for commenting!
Spencer Mack

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”