Official Review: Father Divine's Bikes by Steve Bassett

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Father Divine's Bikes by Steve Bassett

Official Review: Father Divine's Bikes by Steve Bassett

Post by rumik »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Father Divine's Bikes" by Steve Bassett.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The year is 1945, a dark time in Newark, New Jersey. Jobs are scarce, and it seems to the poverty-stricken white residents that immigrants and black people are taking over their city. There is no shortage of crime either, as a gang war is about to begin any time now. Meanwhile, the city's biggest newspapers, the Clarion and the Beacon, are having a circulation war of their own. And right in the middle of it are a pair of teenage boys, secretly working for the numbers racket while they deliver newspapers.

Although the premise of Father Divine's Bikes seems a bit complicated, author Steve Bassett never overwhelms us with too much information. He takes his time, letting every character get a few chapters dedicated to their backstory, showing us their motivations and the hardships they have encountered. As a person who enjoys character development, I have felt the crime genre can often be a bit lacking in this department. But that is certainly not the case here.

One can tell the author has a close connection to Newark, judging by how real the setting feels. Indeed, Steve Bassett was born in Newark. Themes of racial and religious tension, poverty, and prejudice are beautifully written in a way that only someone who has experienced them can. The dialogue also feels very real, with slang commonly used at the time, but never overdone.

You may expect this to be a crime thriller, with all the gangs and the rising tension. But for the most part, it's a slow-paced character-focused portrait of an impoverished city during one of its most turbulent times. I greatly prefer this to traditional crime thrillers, but those looking for something full of action won't find much of that here.

I did encounter some typos while reading this, but only one was particularly confusing. I would consider the others all minor, as they can be easily fixed and did not hinder my enjoyment in any way.

All in all, this is a realistic, gritty portrayal of people and the things they had to do to survive during this low point in Newark's history. I can easily give it 3 out of 4 stars for the character development, poignant themes, and the well-written setting. If the typos were fixed, I would definitely give it 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this to all those that enjoy historical settings with a focus on the characters living in them. I wouldn't recommend it to those looking for an action-filled crime thriller.

The book is aimed towards an adult audience, as it features violence and sexual content, including prostitution. Aside from your everyday profanity, readers should also note that characters often use racial slurs in dialogue. Those sensitive to racial topics should perhaps steer clear of this one.

Father Divine's Bikes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by readerrihana »

I was just wondering why the title is Divine Father...who is he, and what are these bikes referred to? I guess I would not idea of the plot from the title alone, yet the review gives a good summary

I guess due to the profanity, erotic elements and other issues it would not be something I would have an interest to read but thanks anyway for the review

unamilagra
Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 245
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Golden Cord of Arram by Walt Runkis
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like a really good examination of an interesting time period. I like that it incorporates mystery but that the characters are the main focus of the story. Great review!

Julius_
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Broadsword
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: On the Third Day by King Lizzard

Post by Julius_ »

Real settings make the story more enjoyable. I'm glad the author was born in Newark and is very familiar with it. I enjoyed reading your review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.

sanjus
2019 Reading Goal: 21
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Currently Reading: Charles' Story
Bookshelf Size: 359
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sanjus »

A premise of a dark time in Newark, New Jersey during 1945 when the Jobs are scarce, poverty-stricken white residents s and black people are taking over their city looks quite intriguing. Couple of teenage boys, secretly working for the numbers racket seems give more twist to the story. Thanks for your informative review though.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- I believe this is my own quote. If someone quoted this before I am glad to know.

Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 97
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: A Murder is Announced
Currently Reading: The Dragon Republic
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: The Elfkin Journals: Blending of the Races by JDeVereS
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Using newspaper circulation to facilitate the plot of a crime novel is certainly something here, and the use of teenage boys even more so. I'm curious as to how it plays out, exactly, given that the media tends to turn any time of racial tension and scarcity into all out street wars.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Salma_asa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by Salma_asa »

Crime thriller is one of my favourite genres. Reading your review, it seems like this book is worth trying. Eager to read this. Great job with the review!

Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Follow by J.D. Buchmiller

Post by Tomah »

It's a shame about the poor editing, but this sounds like an excellent historical novel that should please fans of the crime genre. Thanks for the review!

Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Dentarthurdent »

This sounds like an honest, unassuming and un-pretty display of the human condition in a time of strife. It's sad to think about the divisiveness caused by limited resources. Thanks for such a concise review!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

Shabram22
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shabram22.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Shabram22 »

I like to understand the reasons behind people's action by knowing their background. Thanks for your review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”