Review by LallaGatta -- The Trial of Connor Padget

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LallaGatta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lallagatta.html
Latest Review: The Weeping Woman of Putten by Alyce Bailey
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by LallaGatta -- The Trial of Connor Padget

Post by LallaGatta »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Trial of Connor Padget" by Carl Roberts.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Great trial, great strategy, great story!

I am an incurable legal crime fan, and The Trial of Connor Padget by Carl Roberts has seemed like a good fit from the start. But it has been so much more that I'm compelled to rate it 4 out of 4 stars!

Connor Padget walks into the Baton Rouge Airport and shoots Alfred Pohl in front of the police and of a news crew filming live.

Jack Carney is watching TV in the Gunga Din bar. He is Connor Padget's childhood friend. He is also a successful civil lawyer, who cannot believe that his friend has just shot a handcuffed man in cold blood. Still, he has no hesitations. He is determined to represent Connor in spite of his law firm and of his beautiful wife, Adrienne. Then again, his law firm is too busy making money, and his wife is too preoccupied with building her dream house in Beau Arbre, so neither is a serious deterrent, nor is the fact that he has little experience with criminal law.

One thing is certain. Alfred Pohl isn't who he claims to be. That's why police has taken him in custody with the charge of kidnapping Connor's son, Scot. But when Jack will face that jury, will he be able to make them forget those terrible images and get Connor out of sure prison?

Of course, this book isn't just about a trial. Jack Carney is a pilot, who has flown covert missions over Russia from Japan. His memories of those times are an integral part of this book. I really like how the author breaks the flow of the trial's narration by interjecting poignant scenes from the past. They testify to Jack's deep bond with his friends and mates, which makes readers understand why he would take Connor's case against all odds.

The setting of this book is another plus for me. It's not just the Japanese recollections, which induce a bittersweet and a mellow mood. It's the deep South where the action takes place. Mr. Roberts describes it as a laid-back environment, and his smooth, easy, and flawless style heightens this sensation. The religious angle is also interesting and very appropriate given the plot's location.

The dynamics between husbands and wives are another absorbing aspect of this novel. Jack and Adrienne, Connor and Mary Beth — they' exemplify the communication breakdown of modern couples, which often risk to drive them apart before the love is even over.

I definitely recommend this book to all trial fans with a taste for something more than just the crime!

The Trial of Connor Padget
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”