Review by Acwoolet -- Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Review by Acwoolet -- Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Acwoolet »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you’re looking for a stimulating, action filled mystery with a ton of romance thrown in; then Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren is the novel for you. When beautiful geisha turned assassin, Akira Hamada, must avenge a death she finds herself on a ten day Caribbean cruise to identify her target and take them out or face the consequences of her own death.

After failing to kill Yakuza boss Kaito Mitsui, Akira is forced to become one of his assassins. When Mitsui discovers that his sister’s murderer plans to be on a Caribbean cruise; he sends Akira to assassinate them. Akira must uncover whether Sara or Paul Lyons was the killer; to do so she ends up seducing their nephew Devon. Although she sets out to avenge a murder, she ends up finding more than she bargained for. With tons of intriguing and exotic locations, steamy romance, and incredibly dramatic twists; Twisted Threads is definitely a wild ride!

I was enthralled by this book from the beginning, Akira’s personality and integrity were both refreshing and fun. She is at odds with being an assassin, only killing horrible people and still angry with herself for doing so. She’s an easy character to like and very well developed. Her interactions with the rest of the characters leave me both satisfied and leave me wanting more. The narrative switches between Akira and Devon’s perspective allowing for both of their thoughts to be heard, but was never confusing. The scenery was beautiful and made me wish that I was there seeing it alongside the characters.

Twisted Threads is the fourth book in the series, while not having read the previous three; I don’t believe that it’s necessary to read them to be able to enjoy this book, I do think it might give a fuller backstory if you read them first. While I didn’t really notice much bad language, there was a bunch of steamy bits and full on erotic scenes. I definitely would recommend it for mature audiences who are looking for that type of novel. While the beginning was incredibly fast paced, it felt a bit slow towards the end and at times didn’t have the clean cut storylines that the rest of the book had. That being said, I don’t feel like it took too much away from my enjoyment of the book.

I was definitely on the edge of my seat through this book. I enjoyed the drama, suspense and romance between Akira and Devon. While there were a few parts that I didn’t enjoy as much as the rest of the book, I still wholeheartedly give it 4 out of 4 stars.

Twisted Threads
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”