Official Review: The Man With A Limp by T M Nugent

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brendan Donaghy
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 175
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: The Black Sheep by Peter Darman

Official Review: The Man With A Limp by T M Nugent

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Man With A Limp" by T M Nugent.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Man With a Limp, published in 2018, is the first novel in a four-book series by T.M. Nugent. The second and third books, The Chameleon Returns and Charlie, are also available to buy now, while the fourth and final volume, Brooks McLaughlin, is due out in the near future.

Jack (we are never told his surname) is the owner of a beach restaurant in Santa Cruz, California. One day, a bearded, long-haired veteran of the war in Iraq walks in and introduces himself. This is Lucky. Injured by a bomb in the service of his country, he gets by with the aid of a walking stick and his faithful dog, Max. It is the start of an important friendship for both men. Their bond is cemented when, shortly after, Jack saves Lucky’s life when he is attacked by a ‘transient’ who tries to shoot him. The pair combine to thwart a terrorist attack during the World Triathlon event in Santa Cruz, as well as foiling the plans of a bomber with retribution on his mind in San Diego.

Realizing that they make a good team, Jack and Lucky set up a security business. Over the course of the next few years, they recruit a team of experts and take on a variety of cases. They work closely with the CIA, the FBI, and MI6. They take down domestic terrorists, middle-eastern terrorists, and even Irish terrorists. The two men also see changes in their personal lives over the years, with Jack marrying Jazz and Lucky hooking up with Carla. Lucky becomes a father. He also learns the truth about his own father, Brooks McLaughlin, someone with whom he has had little contact. He discovers that his father left a list of names, but what is the connection between this list and the deadly work of a character known as The Chameleon?

This book is error-strewn and muddled. I had noted ten mistakes before I had read the first three or four pages and things don’t improve as the book progresses. Words are misspelled or randomly capitalized. Names of characters get confused. On one occasion, Lucky is referred to as Lefty, while elsewhere the same character addresses a remark to himself rather than to Jack. Morse Code becomes Morris Code, while tears run down ‘checks’ rather than cheeks. There are structural errors as well. The story begins with Jack as the first-person narrator. A couple of pages into chapter three it changes to an omniscient narrator, with Jack relegated to the role of just another character. In chapter four, it switches back to Jack as the narrator, before he is once again demoted in chapter five and the omniscient narrator takes over again. That’s the way it continues. The various plots and action-sequences in the book are far-fetched and silly.

I am giving this book one out of four stars. It has certainly not been professionally edited. It is not suitable for younger readers due to the presence of a few steamy sex scenes, along with references to orgies and pedophilia. There are also a few curse words scattered around. The book falls into the action-thriller category, but I cannot recommend it to anyone, fans of the genre or not.

The Man With A Limp
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Julius_
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Broadsword
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: On the Third Day by King Lizzard

Post by Julius_ »

I was thinking of picking this book. Thanks to your review, I've realized I wouldn't enjoy it due to multiple errors. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.

espo
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 401
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espo.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by espo »

While the storyline seems interesting, it's a shame that the book was filled with errors. I hope the next book you will pick will make up for this unpleasant reading experience! Thanks for an insightful review.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Dream Prophecy by Known as Lise

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, it seems like this one needs quite a bit more editing before it's ready for mass consumption. I think I'll pass on this for now. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

sanjus
2019 Reading Goal: 21
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Currently Reading: Charles' Story
Bookshelf Size: 359
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sanjus »

Thanks for your review that recommends to wait for now until the author knows the errors and issues with this and comes out with polished copy of the book.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- I believe this is my own quote. If someone quoted this before I am glad to know.

Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 319
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Weeping Willow's Wish by Brenda Elzin

Post by Cecilia_L »

I am always curious when I come across a one-star review. I've had to give several myself, and I know it's not an easy task. Thanks for your honesty and perseverance!

MsH2k
Favorite Book: The Oracle
Currently Reading: Gospel United
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: The Periodic Table of Character Traits by Michael Lawson

Post by MsH2k »

Wow. I saw this title and was considering this book. Thanks for keeping me from a headache! Great review.

readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by readerrihana »

Thanks for the review...i had assumed it to be non fiction, but now from the review I can see that I would not have any enjoyment reading this book. Thanks so much

Brendan Donaghy

Julius_ wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 09:55
I was thinking of picking this book. Thanks to your review, I've realized I wouldn't enjoy it due to multiple errors. Thanks for the review.
Thanks again for your comments!

Brendan Donaghy

espo wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 12:45
While the storyline seems interesting, it's a shame that the book was filled with errors. I hope the next book you will pick will make up for this unpleasant reading experience! Thanks for an insightful review.
I'm just finishing up the review of my next one and it was one hundred times better!

Brendan Donaghy

kandscreeley wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 15:40
Well, it seems like this one needs quite a bit more editing before it's ready for mass consumption. I think I'll pass on this for now. Thanks.
I think you've made the right decision- thanks for commenting!

Brendan Donaghy

sanjus wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 01:41
Thanks for your review that recommends to wait for now until the author knows the errors and issues with this and comes out with polished copy of the book.
Thank you for your comments!

Brendan Donaghy

Cecilia_L wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 12:38
I am always curious when I come across a one-star review. I've had to give several myself, and I know it's not an easy task. Thanks for your honesty and perseverance!
I agree, it's not an easy task. I much prefer being able to speak well of a book, but sometimes that's just not possible. Many thanks for your comments!

Brendan Donaghy

MsH2k wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 19:59
Wow. I saw this title and was considering this book. Thanks for keeping me from a headache! Great review.
I think it's a full on migraine you've been saved from! :) Thanks for commenting!

Brendan Donaghy

readerrihana wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 06:48
Thanks for the review...i had assumed it to be non fiction, but now from the review I can see that I would not have any enjoyment reading this book. Thanks so much
You're very welcome, thank you!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”