Review by Sufi_khan -- Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sufi_khan
Favorite Book: The Da Vinci Code
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sufi-khan.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Review by Sufi_khan -- Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Sufi_khan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Days of the Giants" by RJ Petrella.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Albert Einstein had once said,” Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.” And that is the central theme of Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella. The story revolves around Dr.Slater Barnes, a young intern at Boston City Hospital, the only public hospital in the city of Boston. Although the story is a work of fiction, the historical elements mentioned in the story before the ’80s are factual. So that adds an element of intrigue to the story.

During his time as an intern at the Boston City Hospital, Slater realizes that he is the kind of person who is in it for serving others and not solely focussed on material gains. When a situation arises where the Hospital is at risk of being taken over by another corporate hospital and his best friend Don is killed in an apparent mugging incident, it galvanizes Slater into action to stop the takeover. The fact that he is battling health issues of his own, and his relationship with his girlfriend is going through a rough phase adds to the chaos in his life.

The author RJ Petrella deserves a standing ovation for his brilliant portrayal of how a young medical professional comes of age. The story has been narrated from dual points of view, with one being Slater, and the other his deceased father looking down on him from heaven. Initially, it was a bit of an adjustment to read the different perspectives, but it is a fresh way of narrating and I found the author pretty clear about who the narrator was. I especially enjoyed how Slater’s narrative is initially that of a young boy, trying to convince the reader about the various events he narrates. And later he speaks with a mature and confident voice.

I rate Days of the Giants a 4 out of 4 for an engaging story, a true-to-life portrayal of corporate hospital administration, a different style of story-telling and some interesting plot twists. People who are sensitive to profane language may find some instances that are not to their liking. Also, the parts of the story dealing with the ambitions of power-hungry executives might be uninteresting and heavy-reading for some. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys boardroom politics and medico-legal stories, health-care workers who enjoy reading, and people who believe in serving others. It is a feel-good story where truth and the underdog come out triumphant in the end.

Being a health professional myself, I can appreciate and identify with the human side of doctors and others. This story drives home the fact that there are weaknesses in all of us, and sometimes issues are more situational than individual to a person. How Slater’s mother lives her life, and how he finds it in his heart to make peace with it forms an interesting part of the story. Read this story today to find out more.

Days of the Giants
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”