Official Review: Fatal Flaws by Clyde Lawrence

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: 2612 Cherryhill Lane by Glenn Vo

Official Review: Fatal Flaws by Clyde Lawrence

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fatal Flaws" by Clyde Lawrence.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

To what lengths would you go to protect your loved ones? Would you commit murder if you felt that was your only option? This is the dilemma that Mark faces in Fatal Flaws, written by Clyde Lawrence.

Mark’s father transformed from an adored father and husband into someone who took his frustration and anger out on his family with frequent beatings. Over time, Mark grew to despise and hate him and was happy when he died from an accident while he was still young.

Fast forward a few years, Mark encounters Hank at their Mormon Church, and they immediately become close friends, partly because Mark is a resident physician in OB/GYN and Hank is an anesthesiology resident. Hank is adept with finances and is accruing wealth, which intrigues Mark, and he wants to learn from him. As time goes by, they grow disillusioned with the church and gradually abandon their faith. As their children grow up together, they make a pact to help each other keep their families safe, no matter what that entails.

When Mark’s eldest daughter, Ryan, weds Brandon, Mark is unhappy as he dislikes him immensely. He is egocentric, disrespectful, and obviously mentally mistreating her. After Ryan sustains several injuries, including cracked ribs, an injured shoulder, and a bruised face and lips, Mark realizes Brandon’s behavior has escalated to physical abuse. Plus, Ryan is in denial and will do nothing about it. Her life is in danger if he doesn’t step up and protect her. Therefore, he seeks Hank’s help in handling the problem. What is unrealized is that asking Hank for help can endanger Mark in the future.

There was a lot to enjoy about this novel. Told from Mark’s point of view, the author’s prose was captivating, easy to understand, and descriptive. His sense of humor had me grinning occasionally and chuckling outright a couple of times. The clever plot was unique and plausible. Several diverse and interesting characters were encountered, with dialogues that were believable and sometimes witty, often laced with vulgar language. I began to detest Brandon when he viciously hurt his dog because he was outraged about something.

However, my favorite aspect of the story was the development of Mark and Hank’s characters. As the friends abandoned the Mormon Church, both became convinced “. . . morality was more of an idea that asked the following question, ‘Did your actions result in an overall positive or negative effect on the planet and its inhabitants?’ ” Both friends loved having fun and would do activities that were potentially dangerous. Mark was clever and witty with a sarcastic sense of humor. To him, his most important job was keeping his family safe. Hank was a former Marine. He possessed an inflated sense of self-importance and wanted to impress people with his accomplishments and possessions. As time progresses through the story, Hank seems to be spiraling out of control, and Mark becomes more and more cognizant of Hank’s flaws.

A theme running through the book is there is a potential for evil in all of us. It merely requires the right circumstances and a lack of willpower to enable it to take over.

Sadly, there were too many flaws in the book. These were predominantly punctuation errors but also included a few grammatical errors. It could use a professional editor. Other than wishing for fewer profanities, this was the only thing about the story I didn’t like.

Because I love the plot, characters, and suspense, Fatal Flaws achieves three out of four stars, with one star removed due to the errors. Readers who enjoy reading crime dramas and suspense novels would appreciate this story. Because of the vulgar language and violence, it is unsuitable for children. Members of the Mormon Church and Christians might be offended by the negative view of the church as well as the profanities.

Fatal Flaws
View: on Bookshelves

LinaMueller
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 136
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The World Is Old by Michelle Wareham

Post by LinaMueller »

First to post. 8)

I always wanted to know more about the Mormon Church. This book seems to be a good starting point. Besides, novels centered on characters with psychological issues are usually great.

Great review, my friend. Well done.

ps: Brandon is sick individual. Dogs are amazing. :x
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

LinaMueller wrote:
18 Jan 2020, 19:32
First to post. 8)

I always wanted to know more about the Mormon Church. This book seems to be a good starting point. Besides, novels centered on characters with psychological issues are usually great.

Great review, my friend. Well done.

ps: Brandon is sick individual. Dogs are amazing. :x
I agree! Anyone who would hurt a dog gets my disrespect! Lol. Thanks for the comments, my friend!

Cotwani
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 32
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: His Betrayals by Jerry Payne

Post by Cotwani »

There is evil in all of us? What a sobering theme!The book sounds quite intriguing. The religous undertones have me hesitating, however. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Julius_
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Eggstravagant Easter Eggs by Maya Elston
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

the author’s prose was captivating, easy to understand, and descriptive. His sense of humor had me grinning occasionally and chuckling outright a couple of times.
That's amazing description. I'll check out this book. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.

Jay_D
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-d.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah

Post by Jay_D »

Hmmm... I have to say, your review is giving me mixed feelings :eusa-think: On one hand, ''becoming disillusioned with the church'' trope is rarely (if ever!) written nicely, though your praise of the book's humor caught my attention. Then the little quip how the character beats his dog makes me think how I could never relate to the character, yet ''The clever plot was unique and plausible. Several diverse and interesting characters were encountered, with dialogues that were believable and sometimes witty,'' made me stop to think for a second :D You have balanced the book's upsides and downsides masterfully, even if I wish you described the plot better. Nice review!

AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: The Little Stranger
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: With Intent to Murder by Arlene Rubens Balin

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Is murder on tomorrow’s agenda?... Sounds like maybe! Until we face certain situations in life, I guess it’s hard to truly know exactly how we’d react in the moment. And since I’ve also been a medical resident, I can identify a little with Mark and Hank, poor weary souls. Great review!

Kelyn
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 188
Currently Reading: The Scent of Distant Worlds
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: The Wrath of Isis by Michael A Zuniga
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn »

Going so far as murder is a difficult thing to contemplate. I would do almost anything for my children. It's not hard to imagine myself in Mark's shoes, but deciding on killing someone is something else entirely. Unless I had no other options, I would most likely try the legal route first. I might go so far as to kidnap my daughter to get her away from him, though. I can definitely see myself doing that. A wonderful, detailed review. Thanks!

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Cotwani wrote:
19 Jan 2020, 00:08
There is evil in all of us? What a sobering theme!The book sounds quite intriguing. The religous undertones have me hesitating, however. Great review!
Thank you for reading my review and commenting!

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Julius_ wrote:
19 Jan 2020, 00:45
the author’s prose was captivating, easy to understand, and descriptive. His sense of humor had me grinning occasionally and chuckling outright a couple of times.
That's amazing description. I'll check out this book. Thanks for the review.
I hope you get a chance to read it as I think you would enjoy it! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Jay_D wrote:
19 Jan 2020, 02:23
Hmmm... I have to say, your review is giving me mixed feelings :eusa-think: On one hand, ''becoming disillusioned with the church'' trope is rarely (if ever!) written nicely, though your praise of the book's humor caught my attention. Then the little quip how the character beats his dog makes me think how I could never relate to the character, yet ''The clever plot was unique and plausible. Several diverse and interesting characters were encountered, with dialogues that were believable and sometimes witty,'' made me stop to think for a second :D You have balanced the book's upsides and downsides masterfully, even if I wish you described the plot better. Nice review!
Thanks so much for stopping by and for the kind words!

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

AvidBibliophile wrote:
19 Jan 2020, 05:09
Is murder on tomorrow’s agenda?... Sounds like maybe! Until we face certain situations in life, I guess it’s hard to truly know exactly how we’d react in the moment. And since I’ve also been a medical resident, I can identify a little with Mark and Hank, poor weary souls. Great review!
Lol. I hope you can get some rest! Thanks for stopping by and commenting, my friend!

esp1975
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Selected Poems by John J. Brugaletta

Post by esp1975 »

Definitely sounds like an interesting book that spans quite a lot of time. I'm not a huge fan of thrillers, so likely won't pick it up. But I can sympathize with any character who leaves the Mormon Church (or any organized religion).

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

esp1975 wrote:
19 Jan 2020, 16:43
Definitely sounds like an interesting book that spans quite a lot of time. I'm not a huge fan of thrillers, so likely won't pick it up. But I can sympathize with any character who leaves the Mormon Church (or any organized religion).
Thanks so much for the comments!

Everydayadventure15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 72
Favorite Book: Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1)
Currently Reading: The Image of Me
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-everydayadventure15.html
Latest Review: Wounded Heart by Colleen Hall

Post by Everydayadventure15 »

A nice blend of suspense and humor. This book sounds intense with some comic relief. I never trust people who are cruel to animals. If they find it easy to beat animals, it’s not a big step up to abusing humans too. Great review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”