Review by B_evans -- E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
B_evans
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-evans.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Review by B_evans -- E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by B_evans »

[Following is a volunteer review of "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

EMP Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer is an action-packed adventure novel sure to keep you on the edge of your seat. This short page-turner is the perfect weekend read.

Kelly and Tom are newlyweds honeymooning at a beautiful resort in Honduras. This magical getaway is filled with scuba diving excursions, guided tours of the local area, spacious pools and picturesque white-sand beaches. Nothing can ruin this tropical paradise, right?

Unfortunately, the fun comes to a screeching halt when Kelly accidentally stumbles upon what appears to be a terrorist operation hidden behind an innocent storefront. Her new police officer husband, Tom, wastes no time and rushes to Kelly’s aid. Joined by a pair of investigators from a secret intelligence team and an attractive, undercover CIA agent, they begin their search to find who is behind the imminent attack and, hopefully, how to stop it.

What I liked most about this book was how we were able to witness what was happening from several points of view. It frequently shifts back and forth between the leading characters as is usual in this kind of book, but what makes this novel different is how there were several occasions where we were able to experience the story through the lens of minor characters as well. The reader sees through the eyes of a terrorist acclimating to her American tourist disguise as well as from the point of view of one of the scientists that the terrorists were holding hostage. I really appreciated this unique style as it helped to break up the book and give a fuller picture of the story.

There is not anything specific that I disliked about this book, but I do wish we had a chance to get to know the main characters a bit more. I would have enjoyed seeing their personality come through in a few more scenes of dialogue. This was not completely absent from the story, but it was definitely abridged. It makes sense, however, to leave out unnecessary details that weigh down the story in this light, fast-paced read.

All things considered, I give this book 4 out of 4 stars for the exciting plot, fast-paced style, and well-written story. I would recommend this book to teen and young adult readers or anyone who might enjoy an action-packed novel that is also an easy read. It may not be suitable for very young children as there are infrequent uses of profanity.

E-M-P Honeymoon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”