Official Review: Tales from the Aether

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adedayo+23
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 82
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Tales from the Aether by Matthew C. Woodruff

Official Review: Tales from the Aether

Post by Adedayo+23 » 12 Jan 2020, 03:32

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tales from the Aether" by Matthew C. Woodruff.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

TALES from the AETHER: Extraordinary Tales of Dark Fiction, Dark Humor, and Horror is a collection of wildly imagined short stories by award-winning author Matthew C. Woodruff. The dark central theme aside, Woodruff’s twelve stories explore a plethora of emotions ranging from love to loss, fear, joy, hope, even incomprehension - as portrayed in the first story, ”The Dark New Year.” The stories are also set around certain holidays in the year.

“The Dark New Year” is the story of a young man who wakes up on New Year’s Day only to find his world shrouded in darkness, literally. In “The Alban Eiler,” two adolescent girls share the same fate on Easter, despite being born thousands of years apart. “The After Life” tells the lighthearted tale of a person whose mundane life was nothing compared to the afterlife that followed. “The Color of the Soul” is about a police sergeant with the peculiar ability to see a person’s soul. He gets a chance to see what his soul looks like on a Halloween night. These unique tales and more embody the author’s skill of examining the depths of fear in the human mind.

TALES from the AETHER was a well-written and executed book. The writing was straightforward, often witty depending on the story, and easy to follow. The stories appeared well-researched, which made them as relatable as they were entertaining. The inclusion of funny stories with lighter moments, despite the dark and ominous central theme, made for a compelling and balanced reading experience.

One of my favorite things about the book was the author’s use of powerful illustrations that aptly matched the haunting collection’s ominous mood. I also liked how quickly and deftly the author developed the characters and plot. Woodruff’s understanding of the art of the short story shone through with how quickly scenarios and critical characters were polished. Each story was immersive within the first few paragraphs, and each situation was enthralling in its own way.

I could hardly find anything to dislike about the book. It appeared professionally edited with minimal grammatical errors, which in no way detracted from the overall quality of the book. The character development, plot execution, and editing were all top-notch, earning this book a 4 out of 4 stars rating. If you enjoy character-driven stories of the horror and dark humor variety about individuals in wildly imagined worlds, you should not miss out on this book. It contains only rare borderline profanity and no sex scenes. A remarkable collection from a talented author, TALES from the AETHER is a book that can be read and enjoyed over and over again.

Tales from the Aether
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:

Laura Bach
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-bach.html
Latest Review: Golden Tales by I.V. Everts

Post by Laura Bach » 12 Jan 2020, 13:38

This book gives me such an eerie feeling. It sounds marvelous. Thanks for the review!

Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Head Waggling in Delhi
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: Prehistory Explained by Shane leach

Post by Laura Lee » 12 Jan 2020, 14:11

Wow, this sounds like a riveting book. I'm adding this to my to-be-read list. Thanks for an excellent review! My daughter in particular loves this type of story. I'm going to get it for her.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx

Amberlily
2018 Reading Goal: 8
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 37
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: We Are Voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberlily.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Amberlily » 12 Jan 2020, 15:22

Interesting! I love short stories with a unique twist. I don't always have a hankering for dark stories, but when I do, this is the kind I'm into. Considering a buy!

Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: Managing With Respect
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Advancing the Common Good by Philip Kotler

Post by Rayasaurus » 12 Jan 2020, 15:56

This collection sounds very chilling. "The Dark New Year" sounds interesting to me personally, but I cannot generally read horror books or otherwise creepy books, so this one is not for me. Thank you for the top-notch review!

Nerea
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 166
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: The One
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Nerea » 13 Jan 2020, 06:53

Sounds like a perfect book to consider. I like that the stories are well-researched and are entertaining. Thank you for your well-crafted review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: River Kids
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by kdstrack » 14 Jan 2020, 20:14

I always enjoy reading your reviews. You describe the author's writing and tone with great clarity. I will pass on this one, though. These stories are too dark. Thanks for a great review!

Shabram22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shabram22.html
Latest Review: Jihadi Hijacking by Eric Auxier

Post by Shabram22 » 16 Jan 2020, 00:24

The covor of the book really interested me but after reading your review I understand that this book is not for me. I'm not into horror stories. Thanks for your review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”