Official Review: The Burn Patient by Sue Hinkin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading: Paying Attention: A Spiritual Journey
Bookshelf Size: 896
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn

Official Review: The Burn Patient by Sue Hinkin

Post by Kibetious » 07 Jan 2020, 09:06

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Burn Patient" by Sue Hinkin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sister Catherine Lucia Ruiz was a healer in Pitacallpa, a village in a remote corner of the central Mexican highlands of Guerrero. She was a woman of moral integrity and faith serving people in a challenging environment. However, she undoubtedly saw this as an opportunity not only to heal people but also to spread God’s unconditional love. A man who had been burnt was hauled to her private clinic by some key members of the black tar heroin cartel. He had sustained extensive burns, and she doubted if the man would survive. His friends ordered her to stabilize him so that he would be transferred to a world-renowned burn treatment center in Los Angeles. Unbeknown to her, she was treating her niece's nemesis and the same man who had murdered her brother. What impact would this have on Lucy Vega, Sister Catherine’s niece? Why did Catherine and Lucy not know each other?

Beatrice Middleton, Lucy Vega, and Michael Burleson were editing their forthcoming documentary on the black tar heroin cartel back in Los Angeles. They thought Gary Mercer had died because they had seen him burning until Elsa, Lucy’s longtime housekeeper, reported that a man had come asking for Lucy’s whereabouts. Elsa was also able to positively identify the stranger who had come looking for Lucy among the men in the documentary. Lucy instantly realized the war was on, and the formidable enemy was closing in on her. Who would be affected in this fight? How were they going to win the war? You have to acquire a copy of this book to know more.

The Burn Patient: A Vega and Middleton Mystery is the third book in the series authored by Sue Hinkin. The book was published by Literary Wanderlust and is 330 pages long. It is divided into 49 chapters. This is an action-packed tale that will keep readers on the edges of their seats. It was gripping from the first page, and the breathless suspense was maintained throughout the story. The conversations were lively and realistic and in this way it was easy to be inside the story. The ending was also realistic.

Both the primary and secondary characters had well-specified roles to carry out. Beatrice and Lucy formed a formidable team. They were close friends and stood up for each other. The drug cartels were merciless people who were only keen on the success of the drug business. Many innocent people lost their lives. Gary Mercer ruled using force, and anyone who stood on his way had to pay dearly. He had learned some harsh lessons from the shortcomings of his predecessor and had resolved not to make the same mistakes. His critical decisions, however, also caused wrangles in his team.

The plot was excellently-built, and the main conflict was also introduced well. The climax rose at a moderate pace such that the reader could connect all events easily. All knots were also tied at the end of the story. Many themes were also interwoven together to produce this enthralling story. The most prevalent themes were revenge, family, friendship, love, and murder.

One of the best things in the book was the twists and turns. They made the story more captivating, and so it was hard to put it down. What I liked most in the book was character development. The characters were relatable. There is nothing that I did not like about the book.

The language employed in the book was straightforward. Editing was professionally done although I discovered a few grammatical errors. They did not detract from the general enjoyment of the book, though. There was one instance where the name of the same character was altered. This is whereby Sarah’s name was changed to Rachel in succeeding chapters. Therefore, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I heartily recommend the book to all fans of mystery books.

The Burn Patient
View: on Bookshelves
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

Kanda_theGreat
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: Followers of Lightning
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Kanda_theGreat » 08 Jan 2020, 10:42

I have observed that excellent authors literary invest more on their character development, which is overtly evident from your review of this book. I shall therefore, add it to my shelf.
Great review.
Bet on me!✊

mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Long Winded by Joseph L Robinson

Post by mmm17 » 08 Jan 2020, 16:03

Reading a book with well-developed characters is always rewarding, isn't it? Thanks for the thorough review. I enjoyed reading it.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 305
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: RAMBLINGS of a Baby Boomer wannabe by Tom Golden

Post by Cecilia_L » 09 Jan 2020, 18:15

You sold me when you mentioned that the book had twists and turns and was hard to put down--great review!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: River Kids
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by kdstrack » 09 Jan 2020, 19:01

The story line has me wanting to know more about the "burn" patient. Your review has intrigued me. I want to know how this story plays out. Thanks for the amazing recommendation!

Nylaaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Nylaaa » 09 Jan 2020, 20:11

Ouu sounds interesting ! Thanks for the review 😌

Nisha Ward
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 97
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: A Murder is Announced
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Chief Among Us by L. A. Noble
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 17 Jan 2020, 21:41

The mystery as to why Lucy and Catherine don't know each other does present quite a conundrum, especially given who Catherine is treating. My question now is how does the author resolve this? Can it actually be resolved? I'm adding it to my books to buy so I can find out.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

mosekim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mosekim » 19 Jan 2020, 16:24

Would her good nature put her in trouble. The review tells us some very interesting things and yet it still looks suspenseful... I should add it to my shelf. Thank you for the review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”