Review by arielkiaira_ -- E-M-P Honeymoon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
arielkiaira_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arielkiaira.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Review by arielkiaira_ -- E-M-P Honeymoon

Post by arielkiaira_ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer is a book that follows a couple, Kelly McBride and Sgt. Tom Turbulo, who are enjoying their honeymoon in the Caribbean when Kelly, innocently shopping for souvenirs, stumbles upon a possible terrorist operation. The couple puts their honeymoon on pause and begins to investigate the potential danger to North America. Soon they find themselves in the crosshairs of a dangerous international plot to attack North America.

E-M-P Honeymoon is well-deserving of a 4 out of 4 rating. From the moment I started reading the book, it instantly captured my attention. The author's style of writing is simple but intricate and detailed. She had expanded her knowledge on a complex subject and portrayed it to readers in a way we could understand. I also enjoyed the similarities between the plotline and governmental conflicts that concern the citizens of the United States of America. It made the book more relatable. Therefore, I have concluded that any rating less than a 4 out of 4 would underrepresent the quality of her book.

The author, Dorothy May Mercer, understood that some of the information in the book might be hard for many people to comprehend. Since some of the subjects and terms in the book potentially were unfamiliar to the readers, I like how she added a chapter, chapter two, that explained in detail about governmental relations, nuclear warfares, missile defenses, and EMPs. All subjects that are touched on later in the book. You can tell that the author sincerely cares about her readers because she puts herself into their perspective and writes effectively.

On the other hand, my least favorite part of the book is the awkward use of profanity towards the end of the book. Considering that the characters did not use profanity for the first half of the book, the change in speech felt forced and uncharacteristic. Primarily for the characters that were in a position of power who would typically avoid any form of obscure language. Overall, the profanity did not alter the book, but it could have easily functioned without it.

In conclusion, I appreciate that there is no right or wrong audience for this book. The simplicity of the author's writing helps the book expand its comprehensibility among all readers, and the intriguing plotline keeps the readers invested in the story. The characters, the sub-plots, and the way the author builds the action is what I value most about this book. Reading this book will not leave you unsatisfied.

E-M-P Honeymoon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”