Review by LallaGatta -- An Imperfect Crime by Fred G. Baker

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LallaGatta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lallagatta.html
Latest Review: The Weeping Woman of Putten by Alyce Bailey
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by LallaGatta -- An Imperfect Crime by Fred G. Baker

Post by LallaGatta »

[Following is a volunteer review of "An Imperfect Crime" by Fred G. Baker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An imperfect Crime by Fred G. Baker had me hooked from page 1 thanks to an intriguing prologue that soon turns into a reality with dire consequences. In a breezy, brisk style, the horror of what seems like just an author's bestselling intuition takes shape, and there's no holding back the curiosity to discover the exact turn of events. Although there are some minor flaws, typos and a few vulgarities, I give this book the top rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

Father Guillermo Montero is an ex-soldier, ex-cop and current minister of Arizona State Prison's death row. He is convinced the man about to be executed is innocent. But he's powerless to stop the lethal injection.

Once the man dies, Father Montero reaches out to the only police officer who has expressed doubts during the trial.

Detective Lori Sanchez is working to bust one of Phoenix's drug and guns cartels. The last thing she needs is to be dragged into a complex case of missing women dating two years' back, of a man executed for having killed his best friend despite the absence of a body and of kidnapped victims forced into prostitution upon crossing the Mexican border.

But she's too good a detective not to suspect that something smells fishy and looks staged. It’s far from a perfect crime, which justifies her joining forces with Father Montero in quest of a truth that will uncover murder, slave racketeering and the Mexican mafia.

I like both of the main characters and the relationship they establish. The detective seems at times too hotheaded and trigger-happy, so it's nice to watch how Father Montero works through her anger to curb such an aggressive side. And when he has to apply the same soul-searching technique on himself, he really becomes human and more credible as a man and as a priest.

I particularly enjoy the book's setting. Although I've never been to Phoenix, Puerto Vallarta or San Francisco Mexico, I almost feel like I am there, especially during the action-packed scenes. In addition, I can totally relate to the heat burning in every page, and Mr. Baker does an excellent job of making me feel like I'm under a blazing summer sun when in fact I’m reading during a cold Christmas season.

I recommend this book to all crime and police investigation fans who don't object to a touch of vulgarity, which makes interviews of suspects all the more realistic, and to fast paced action scenes that keep the adrenaline going.

An Imperfect Crime
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”