Official Review: The Last Enemy by Dan E. Hendrickson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Official Review: The Last Enemy by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Jgideon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Last Enemy" by Dan E. Hendrickson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Maximillian Manerez and Boris Rasmov, the two notorious mafia bosses, had no idea about what was in store for them when they set out to kill the Edwards. They did not spare any of their resources to see to it that they wiped the Edwards out of the face of the earth. The main man in the Edwards family, Jacob, also known as the hero of Cozumel, befriends Jonathan, Maximillian’s son. Could Jacob, with the help of his new ally, keep his family safe despite being the most wanted family in the hit list of the two cartel bosses?

The Last Enemy by Dan. E. Hendrickson is the third book in his series: The Last Enemy. The novel revolves around the lives of the Edwards family. As mentioned before, the family is in danger since Boris and Maximillian want them dead. The attempts by Jacob to keep the family safe draws other characters into action, such as the FBI, the Texas Lone Rangers, the Mexican Military’s Anti-corruption Cartel Task Force, and the family members of all the main characters.

I loved Hendrickson’s ability to sculpt an amazing plot that kept me glued to the book. Although I have not read the other books in this series, I did not have any problem in getting a firm grip on the novel. I felt as if I was part of the book since the scenes were well developed and the author has a way of keeping the flow of events flawless. For instance, the first chapter displays a tug of war between Boris and Max, whereby Max pulls out a plan that would deeply anger Boris. I kept waiting for the ‘perfect’ moment when Boris would come to know about his ally’s betrayal that gave the Edwards the upper hand in fighting for their survival.

I always have a favorite character in most of the books that I read. For this one, I had a favorite inseparable pair of characters: Jim and Linda Edwards, the parents of Jacob. I loved the love they had for each other and for their family. Even in their old age, they were not afraid to defend their children even if it meant getting into a gunfight. Linda stuck to her husband’s side and made everyone they were working with understand that. Her words “Where he goes, I go, and that is final” portrayed her undying willingness to stick by his side. That was lovely.

I loved reading this book. It was professionally edited and it has no profanity. Actually, the author managed to weave in Bible teachings in the novel and gave the book a phenomenal ending. That said, I gave it the rating that it really deserves: 4 out of 4 stars. I strongly recommend it to readers who enjoy crime-themed novels with strong teachings about family, love, and faith. It has some descriptions of gruesome murders. Therefore, readers who are easily triggered by such should avoid this one.

The Last Enemy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

The book's cover page caught my eye and I must admit that I'm impressed by your review.
Thanks for the review.
Bet on Me! :idea:
LauraLeeWasHere
Favorite Author: Jess Lederman
Favorite Book: David Copperfield
Currently Reading: Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauraleewashere.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
fav_author_id: 164792

Post by LauraLeeWasHere »

Dear J,

I had NO interest in a book like this until ... I read your review and things like
felt as if I was part of the book since the scenes were well developed and the author has a way of keeping the flow of events flawless
And if that wasn't enough your list of whom would enjoy this story fit me perfectly.
And if that's not enough I love your Pooh and friends profile picture.
And if that's not enough ...

I think you get the idea. Thanks for putting me on to a new book and new author. Can't wait to see what you read and review next.

Sincerely, Laura-Lee :character-cookiemonster: :handgestures-salute:
And they sang a new song saying,
"You are worthy to take the book,
and to open its to seals,
for You were slain and have redeemed us to God,
by your blood, out of every tribe and tongue and people and Nation." Rev. 5:9
NKJ & KJV
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

LauraLeeWasHere wrote: 20 Dec 2019, 21:18 Dear J,

I had NO interest in a book like this until ... I read your review and things like
felt as if I was part of the book since the scenes were well developed and the author has a way of keeping the flow of events flawless
And if that wasn't enough your list of whom would enjoy this story fit me perfectly.
And if that's not enough I love your Pooh and friends profile picture.
And if that's not enough ...

I think you get the idea. Thanks for putting me on to a new book and new author. Can't wait to see what you read and review next.

Sincerely, Laura-Lee :character-cookiemonster: :handgestures-salute:
Thanks for dropping by LauraLee. I love watching Pooh and friends. I am happy that you liked both the profile picture and the review.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I've read books by the author and I like how he describes events and develop the plot. This story sounds intriguing and eventful. The themes highlighted in the story are appealing. I might consider the book. Thanks for your review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Wow. That is a lot of action in so few words. Jacob has a lot ahead of him to be wary about, it seems, and having the mafia after you can never be good. I can only imagine how exciting a read this must have been as a result. Definitely seems worth it.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
drych_books
Currently Reading: Graceling
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drych-books.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by drych_books »

Not a fan of crime books but I am indeed a lover of good characters and well done interactions between them! The part when you describe Jacob's parents Jim and Linda totally got me wanting to start reading this book only for the beautiful relationship they have. Amazing review!!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

From his other books, I know that the author strongly values family. I am also sure this book will be action-filled like the other books in the series. The Amazon blurb mentions that Marnia, rescued by Commander Jacob Edwards in Book 1, and Jacob's daughter, Danielle, have major parts in the book. It would be amazing to see these two women rescue their hero in a classic reversal of roles.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I enjoyed reading this authors previous books, although I would need to read again to refresh my memory. It had lots of action and suspense. I look forward to reading this book. Thanks for your review!
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

The suspense is exciting despite the storyline not being original - most cartel stories are about decimating another group - I wonder how it all workout for the Edwards. Usually I am not a fan of cartel and mafia stories, they are usually filled with drugs, killings and exploitation...however I loved reading this review, it made me want to read the book itself. The bonus point is the fact that it has no profanity in it. Thank you for the review.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting crime fiction thriller highlighting action, danger, a hit list for an entire family, friendship, and protecting one's family. The book is temporarily discounted on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

This author always writes a good, suspenseful book full of suspense. I am curious how the Edwards' family escape from the two cartel bosses. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Oluwabiyi Israel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwabiyi-daniel.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oluwabiyi Israel »

I love the fact that I don't need to read other books in the series to enjoy this one. Learning about the doings of mafia gangs seems too exciting. Great review.
Mbali Qalinge
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: He
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbali-qalinge.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Mbali Qalinge »

Mafia bosses, task forces, and teachings about love, family, and faith sound like an exciting read. I've never read a crime and action-packed book with Bible teachings, so this one has my attention. I also love that one can read it without reading the previous books in the series. Thanks for the great review.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

This sounds like an intriguing book with an exciting plot! I was glad to know there is no profanity. I love a good crime novel but shy away from reading them much because of the language. This sounds like one I could enjoy! Thanks for the excellent review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”